Decisions, Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, you guys are gettin me fired up!

I bought that 'Cooking With Smoke and Spice' book from Amazon last week and got it several days ago. Holy Moses, the cover alone made me drool all over myself. And the recipes??? Has anyone tried them? Probably a redundant question since I've got a feeling that many of you have.

Anywho, after checking out the reviews of the WSM on Amazon and especially here I'm literally marking the days on the calendar (3 to go) when I get off work at 11:30 pm, walk through the door at 11:50, turn on the computer, come to this site, hit the magic button which takes me to Amazon, hit a few more buttons and - baddabing - place my order. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PS: As of midnight Saturday the Brinkman sleeps with the fishes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck Freeman:
PS: As of midnight Saturday the Brinkman sleeps with the fishes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Way to go, Chuck. When I got my WSM, I hauled my Brinkman to the curb and put a "free" sign on it. Before I knew it, there were three more ECB's next to mine!

Chuck:

It continues to amaze me how many of us first timers sound sooo much the same. I have only had my WSM two weeks now. Have fired it twice. Punched hole for themo in lid, and have read first two chapters of "Smoke and Spice".

These folks that have been around awhile must be either bored-to-death with our 'new convert' enthusiasm (Note: I see a lot of religion here what with a wonderful congregation, a few acolytes, and some high priests-ess?) or laughing hysterically at the new fools. (ha-ha, ho-ho, hee-hee, their coming to take me away)

(oops, SWMBO just reminded me that I must go tend to the Golden Goose.)

It's funny when I think about it now, but I used to think Brinkman as 'top-of-the-line' until that fateful day when I checked out the WSM on Amazon and read the reviews and did some comparisons. My world has never been the same since. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

I have a couple of questions for you pros out there.

1) Just how easy is it to punch a hole in the WSM for installing a thermometer?

2) Where's a good place to buy wood for smoking?

Any advice for this rookie would be greatly appreciated. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

There is a detailed article in the Tips & Mods section on various ways to drill and mount a thermometer on the WSM.

For smokewoods, consider BBQ specialty stores, firewood suppliers, home improvement centers, sporting and outdoor stores, orchards or vineyards, and even some Ace Hardwares. There are online sellers, too, and some are listed in the Resources section.

Chuck,

1. Why not invvest in a Maverick ET-73 thermometer. This will allow you to take meat and pit temp without having to drill through your new baby!!

2. You can find wood at any HD or Lowes. If you're lucky you can find a restaurant that will let you buy some off them. I have a place just up the road that does Q and they let me take what I want! FREE!!

Hope that helps!

Chuck,

If you decide you still want to drill, there are also some threads with good information on drilling tips. Use the "Find" feature near the top of each page and go from there /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Chuck,

That one only has a food probe. You also want to be able to keep track of the smoker temperature. The ET-73 fits the bill.

The ET-73 is now officially on my 'hit list', meaning I'll probably order it within the next 2 weeks. Thanks Greg for the tip (no pun intended)

Now to find the wood...

Chuck:

If you have a set of bits (up to 1/2 inch) and have ever drilled before, this is not difficult, just scary cuz of the shiny, pretty surface. If you have doubts, get a piece of scrap metal and drill, starting with about an 1/8" pilot and gradually (SLOWLY) increasing diameter until thermo threads (NPT) can self-tap. Should only take 10 minutes.

Oh and other consideration is where...check the Mods section for the main site and also the forum. Some excellent pics and ideas.

That's true Keith, it probably isn't as difficult as it sounds and you hit it right on the head, it's the idea of drilling into that nice shiny surface that gives me the willies.

If the ET-73 does as great a job as it sounds I suppose having one would spare me the trouble of buying that expensive drill bit I saw advertised here as well as the trouble of drilling, unless of course there IS a distinct advantage from having the thermometer mounted directly in the lid.

Chuck,
I also did not want to drill thru the WSM and I don't mind wires coming from under the lid. The ET-73 works great, albeit not at the range claimed.

Another possibility was discussed in this thread about installing eyelets.

Rath *hopes this helps*

Chuck, I assume you found out from this site that the WSM is on sale for $154 on Amazon? You won't find a better deal than that IMO. Also, you should spring for the ET-73 at the same time, they make a great combo, and you'll be turning out quality Q your first time out, regardless of the weather (the WSM is pertnear impervious to bad weather conditions, compared to the ECB).

I bought my first WSM a year ago about this time, along with the ET-73, and am thinking about getting another. Everyone I know thinks I'm a BBQ genius, when it's the WSM all along!

I sure did, and I plan to order BOTH these items tonight if all goes well. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, I'm not very clear on the eyelets. Does this entail drilling or punching holes in the WSM? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

No drilling involved. Simply remove one or more support strap bolts, and replace them with an eyelet, the top ones just under the top grate being the more popular.

The eyelets are nice, of course you only need one and you can split the $8 cost with a fellow WSMer since you get 2. You CAN run the ET-73 wires under the lid though, I did that for quite awhile with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back