Deciding on a second 18.5 or first 14.5

Boston Jeff

TVWBB Fan
Ok , I have a 22.5 and 18.5 wsm now . I am going to get a second 22.5 , and deciding what size wsm 18.5 or 14.5 I want for the other . I`m torn between the two . I have not seen the 14.5 up and personal so not sure if it is to small . I love the 22 and 18 I have now . I am so confused , which doesn't take much to do that , :) . To people with the 14.5 , do you like it , or do find it to be to small , or a perfect size for two people .

Jeff

I have both a Mini-Joe and a 14.5 (along with my 18.5). I really like the Mini and the 14.5. I consider them about equal. Frankly, I believe that the 14.5 (or Mini) is about the perfect size for a small family. In fact, we had 12 people in last night and we served pulled pork that came from the 14.5. I did two 8-9 lb Boston Butts at once (one on each grate) and it was a piece of cake. We have enough pulled pork left for another meal. Doing the pulled pork ahead of time, then vacuum packing and freezing made for a much nicer plan getting a meal together for a large gathering (if you consider 12 as "large"). Since the O.P. already has a 22.5 and a 18.5 it seems to be a natural choice to add a 14.5. You'll find, as I do, that they will do a lot of your smoking in the near future. I do eight half racks of ribs (using two rib racks on the two food grates) on either my 14.5 or the Mini. You get perfectly evenly cooked ribs and that is a lot of ribs unless you're trying to feed a convention, etc.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks Robert . I was leaning towards the 14 . Plus , it saves me a 100 bucks , that I can spend on some other things , such as a load charcoal .

Boston Jeff
If you want to see the 14.5 I am pretty sure they have them on display along with the 18 and 22 at BBQ Barn in Arlington.

I really like my mini and the 14.5, especially where my wife is not crazy about BBQ I do her stuff on the Silver B and mine on the 14 and for parties we have the 22

If you wanted to stop by some time to check them out PM me, although tomorrow is bad, while I will be smoking I am fighting off a bad cold.

Jeff, if saving 100 bucks getting the 14 over the 18, why not consider looking for a used 18 on CL for the cost of a new 14?
or have you considered that already?
or are you looking for NEW ?

Jeff, if saving 100 bucks getting the 14 over the 18, why not consider looking for a used 18 on CL for the cost of a new 14?
or have you considered that already?
or are you looking for NEW ?

I think Boston Jeff has an 18 already (along with a 22) and is getting a second 22, and trying to decide between a second 18 and a 14. Personally I would say the 14 as it completes the family and also gives more options.

14.5!!!

they are cute

yes they are small, but you can still do 4 racks of ribs, a couple 6 pound butts, a 10 pound turkey or chicken, 14 chicken drumsticks and more

Of course not all at once, that is what the 22 is for!

If you end up with 2 22's an 18 and a 14 that is going to be impressive - AND bankrupting from the cost of the meat!

bad link,

anyhow my wife would never allow it, if she could she would run a rest home for animals, she won't eat lamb because of the cute way the wiggle their ears etc. I tell her she is being hypocritical to talk about that while she is chowing down of a steak or a chicken!

I have wanted to try mutton but around here you can't get it.

You're in Western MA, (near Liz Warrens seacoast?) anyhow have you ever been to Bubb's BBQ in Sunderland? I see that Holy Smokes has closed, I went there once and wasn't that impressed, Bubb's was good.

Well , I got my decision made , going with a complete family , Going to get a second 22 , and the 14 . So that would put me at two 22s, one 18 and one 14 . Only reason for so many WSMs , I have a few upcoming parties I need to cook for people , and they will actually pay for themselves doing those cooks . Plus I am going to be getting the wifi stoker for the two 22`s , not that WSM`s need it , I just like my toys .

How long will the 14.5 burn @ between 225 - 250? I know it's a smaller volume of air to heat but will it hold enough coal to run that temp for 10-12 hours, or do you need to add fuel?

Back