Deciding between 14.5 and 18.5

Tom Dreher

Let me start by saying that I used to own an 18.5 WSM until 3 years ago when I moved in to an apartment that doesn't allow grills (I know, a bad move but I know the owners and got a great deal). I noticed that most every apartment here has a grill anyway, so I got a tabletop gas grill with no complaints. So I'm thinking of getting another WSM. I have a 6'X10' wooden patio with a brick wall on one side so I'm thinking if I put it on a fire resistant mat, it'll be safe. But that's a pretty small area, and I think a 14.5 WSM might be a better fit. I'll mainly just be cooking for myself, or sometimes for 2. Any input, advice, or complaints about the 14.5 would be appreciated. Thanks!

I love the 14.5". It will feed far more than 2 people. I have done ribs, chicken, fatties, wings, etc and it performs just as we'll as my 22.5". Just because it's small doesn't mean it's not capable.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I haven't heard many complaints about the 14.5". As long as I can fit in a shoulder (not necessarily a huge one) or maybe a smaller brisket I think it should be fine for me.

Given your situation, I'd go for the 14"er. I built a mini-wsm and use it often. A decent shoulder, around 9lbs, isn't a problem at all. You can fit quite a bit of chow on 2 cooking grates. I like to smoke wings/legs/ABT's/sausages/etc. on the grates, then remove the middle section and place a cooking grate on the charcoal ring, and finish up with a direct sear.

!4.5! you can easily do an 8 pound chicken or I would assume a 10 pound turkey on it, and that would certainly feed 2! a 6-8 pound butt would work as well. I did 12 chicken legs with no problem.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 14.5". Seems to make the most sense with the space I have available.

I am drooling with envy at those smokers!
I'd go with the 14.5, too. I'm just finishing a first smoke in my WSM mini build, and the food I got in there will last our family for a few days...

I have a mini and like the others have said they will hold an amazing amount of food. Just a thought are the grills you are seeing gas grills? Because a smoker in a tight area such as an apartment complex might be a problem because of the smoke whereas a gas grill doesn’t give off a lot of smoke usually.

I originally purchased the 14.5" and returned it for the 18.5". I just felt that the 14.5 was to small and the size made it seem more like a toy. I also want to do overnight cooks at some point and read that the 14.5 may not last through the night without needed to be re-fueled.

Fire on a wood deck is always iffy. I caught mine on fire once and it broke me of the habbit. When managent gets wind of the smoke they could ask you to share.:). Seriously a few sparks on a dry windy day and you could have some serious liability. Hate to rain on this parade but I wouldn't do it.

J

I may need to rethink this. I'm not really concerned about someone finding out about it. I work for the family that owns the apartment complex and I can't imagine them doing more than telling me to get rid of it. But I have been concerned about the issue of a fire on a wooden deck. I originally planned to get a heat resistant mat for under it, then thought about laying down a few pavers, but a gas or electric unit may be the way to go.

I had seriously considered (sacrilege alert) a propane smoker before getting the WSM's I did alot of research on them and electrics (my brother in law has a propane one, he started with an electric at his beach house but the generator they use for power couldn't handle it so he went with propane)
the run of the mill ones from Bass Pro and Lowes are not as well made as a WSM, but are still very functional. There is a forum www.smokingmeatforums.com that covers all types of smoking, I don't do much there because (although claim differently) this forum is the best especially if your into Webers. I reviewed the 14.5 for them, my handle on their forum is "BenCartwright2"

You are close to a power supply on a wooden deck so you cannot legally use charcoal or propane, so electric is the way to go.

You are close to a power supply on a wooden deck so you cannot legally use charcoal or propane, so electric is the way to go. ...

That may depend upon where you are, so I would check that out. Here in Tucson, the use of bbq's is governed by Tucson's Fire Code and has nothing to due with the availability of power supplies and everything to do with the combustibility of the structure. Many newer condos out here have concrete balconies, so that would be ok if the structure within 10 feet is not combustible. They specifically state stucco over wood is combustible which would be a problem with newer condos. Now the HOA rules may be a different issue. Also, in Tucson, it is any open flame, so a gas grill would still be a no-no. That actually make sense to me. I've never had an issue with fire with my charcoal grills (I guess that I keep them cleaner or something), but I have had some serious grease fires with the gas grill.

Because I am bored, I looked at the Ohio State Fire Code and there are a number of exceptions, some of which surprised me. I'm not a lawyer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Some exceptions:
  • If your balcony has a sprinkler system.
  • If you have a charcoal burner and the fire code inspector approves you can have it if:
    • You have a fire extinguisher of the right size (you need to check with a fire guy to determine the right size).
    • You are an adult and constantly attend the charcoal burner & the fire code guy approves (might be hard for a smoker).
  • The balcony has a NG outlet.
  • The LPG device has a tank that is less than 1 lb (rules out big Webers with the 5 gallon tanks)
And a bunch of other stuff. You could check it out. Also I don't know of if where you are follows the code that I looked( H section 308.1 Open Flames you will need to scroll) at, so you need to check that.

Brett
You make good points. I live in the peoples republik of Massachusettstan and used to the whacko rules we have here, such as our Blue Laws, no beer in grocery stores, no wine or beer or alcohol sales on Sunday and on and on

Brett
You make good points. I live in the peoples republik of Massachusettstan and used to the whacko rules we have here, such as our Blue Laws, no beer in grocery stores, no wine or beer or alcohol sales on Sunday and on and on

Always something to think about. Especially in known states where the government likes to help you out :)

Back