Death by Bacon

ClayJ

I forgot to share this when I did it, but I figure its never too late to show off (or admit to) your smoking events.

I saw this as just a picture posted on a friend's web page and decided to try it. I've since found that there's a whole web site devoted to such things.

http://www.bacondeath.com/

Here's what I did last March

Pre cook 1/2 of the thick cut bacon
804442626_r3UtX-M.jpg

Weave the remaining bacon into a mat
804442727_sDyKp-M.jpg

Thoroughly sprinkle with garlic powder
804442896_R4sJj-M.jpg

Cover with 1 pound of sausage (sweet italian in this case) and the pre-cooked bacon
804443031_p4zLX-M.jpg

Roll up the sausage and bacon
804443116_2hwrb-M.jpg

Roll up the bacon around the sausage
804443365_XaHuM-M.jpg

Smoke the whole thing (225 degrees)
804443585_Js7Kk-M.jpg

I called it done at 165
804443901_jfEvG-M.jpg

Your life shortened by 1 year just looking at this picture
804444029_qR24D-M.jpg

My kids loved it. For me, I think I should have put it over high heat for a few minutes a side at the end to crisp the outside bacon. It might look golden and crisy but it's not. Low and slow just doesn't crisp bacon

I started the whole thing at 7:50am. Put it on the smoker at 8:30. Pulled it off the smoker at 11:00

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClayJ:
My kids loved it. For me, I think I should have put it over high heat for a few minutes a side at the end to crisp the outside bacon. It might look golden and crispy but it's not. Low and slow just doesn't crisp bacon
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This looks great. I think I would go with a high heat or at least a sear because as you point out, bacon needs heat to get crisp.

Yeah I like to call those bad boys "bacon bombs". Next time you need to add some BBQ sauce and cheese in the middle....really jazz it up. We always include a bacon bomb in our tailgate and carve it up as redneck sushi. It goes great with cold, cold beer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
What,
No Butter or cheese?
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously! What are you, some kind of health nut!!??
icon_biggrin.gif

Good stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That looks so yummy and healthy that I'm going to make it for my mother in law's birthday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is funny, don't care who you are
icon_biggrin.gif

Did this myself,but skipped the bacon inside and took feta/olives and pesto if i recall right.

But will try with bacon inside for sure!

Looks great

Back