Day off, guests coming, time for 3-2-1 ribs!

Mitch J

It is spring break for some of those in education, so that means a smoke day for me! It's not quite a FL beach, but a day smokin' sure is close!

Wanted to perfect a rib recipe I've been working on, so I dedicated the day to some spare rib work.

IMG_0222_zps2096abaf.jpg

Started with 3 racks of untrimmed spares from Sam's Club.

IMG_0227_zps9db21b18.jpg

Trimmed each Stl style and saved the tips for a later cook.

Prepped each with yellow mustard, then applied rub. For two racks I put on a shake of my homemade rub that includes coconut sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and your basic ingredients. It has been very good to me in the past, and I am playing with the perfect amount...I am also not "rubbing" this time, but rather shaking a good amount on. The other rack I rubbed with Penzey's BBQ 3000 which is an old favorite of mine. They went into the refrigerator wrapped, for an hour.
IMG_0232_zps071a9d0e.jpg

IMG_0234_zpsce9a0066.jpg

Fired up the WSM using Royal Oak lump charcoal and 3-4 chunks of hickory. They will smoke for 3 hours, then get wrapped with some apple juice, agave syrup, and butter, and put back on for another 1.5 hours.

Sauce will come later and we will see what happens!

Those ribs sure have been on there a long time!!

Haha, true! In fact, I left them wrapped longer than I would've liked, should have only done about an hour rather than 1.5.

Here were the sauce for each rack, a homemade sauce (my favorite) and two flavors that offer something different.
IMG_0239_zps3fd95cc8.jpg

After removing the foil...
IMG_0238_zpsf00bacdd.jpg

I sauced each and put back on for about 15 minutes, then cut up the finished products! They had a good flavor, but they were a little overdone in my opinion. My guests, of course, love "fall off the bone" ribs so it worked out well.
IMG_0240_zpsaca8e21b.jpg

IMG_0243_zpscebd90e9.jpg

Back