Dave's Smokefire EX6 Experiences

Can’t wait to get my set. I don’t see them in the pics, but I bet they are just as nice,

haha! Yours are almost done as well. Like I mentioned to you when you placed the order, they'll have my phone number in place of the SmokeFire logo to remind you each time you're cooking tasty food to give me a call. :cool:

I took a stroll out into the garage this morning to check out the results and I'm pretty happy. These could honestly use a second coat of epoxy to remove a lot of the little surface defects, but honestly they're for a BBQ. I've got a fair amount of time put into these, so I'm inclined to call it good as is. The color is really nice after the epoxy sets. The logo I put in there cannot even be felt. Truth be told, I made the epoxy process more difficult because I didn't want to move a car out of the garage so I could get better access to the shelves. If I did this again, I'd count on two full coats of epoxy. Also, in most cases, you'd never coat the underside if doing something like a table top or counter top. That made this project more time consuming and difficult. If I did it over again, I'd likely epoxy coat the top and coat the bottom with Spar urethane. That would have saved me a lot of time.

20200316062840-b31a7ec8-me.jpg

I'm pretty much done with the shelf project. I do plan to cut another piece of aluminum angle for the left shelf when I get a little time, but otherwise it's a wrap. This project was improvised from the start but I'm quite happy with how it came out. It did turn out better in both function and looks than I was initially planning, so that goes to show you that a little risk can equal some reward.

i.php

20200316170532-0f351adf-la.jpg

20200316170535-3344bd8e-la.jpg

20200316170538-97982458-la.jpg

20200316170541-a16f20e2-la.jpg

20200316170544-d1b6f6c3-la.jpg

20200316170547-c27f9320-la.jpg

20200316170549-b75569ea-la.jpg

20200316170552-12e8f9cb-la.jpg

I'm pretty much done with the shelf project. I do plan to cut another piece of aluminum angle for the left shelf when I get a little time, but otherwise it's a wrap. This project was improvised from the start but I'm quite happy with how it came out. It did turn out better in both function and looks than I was initially planning, so that goes to show you that a little risk can equal some reward.

i.php

20200316170532-0f351adf-la.jpg

20200316170535-3344bd8e-la.jpg

20200316170538-97982458-la.jpg

20200316170541-a16f20e2-la.jpg

20200316170544-d1b6f6c3-la.jpg

20200316170547-c27f9320-la.jpg

20200316170549-b75569ea-la.jpg

20200316170552-12e8f9cb-la.jpg
A true work of art!

Just a quick update. Things are crazy out here in California. My entire office of over 350 has switched to working remotely. I've left the house twice the last five days (gas station for my truck and an extra five gallons in a gas can) and to drop a cable off at my office for a fellow employee to get their computer working. I may have some extra time on my hands, so a second coat of epoxy on these shelves might be in the plans. I actually screwed up when I did the epoxy (see, I make mistakes). I should have skim coated it with a squeegee on both sides, then did one or two flood coats. I just didn't know any better when working with raw wood, but now I do.

Stay safe everyone. I'm trying to stock up on some food right now so I can hunker down for a couple of months. I'm an introvert anyhow, so hanging around the house doesn't bug me too much. I just wish I had ordered some remodeling supplies, as I could take advantage of my free time. Spending money on things that can help me be self sufficient, versus going out with friends right now as well. Now if I could just find some ground beef and chicken to put in the freezer. No joke, I've not been able to buy those things or eggs.

Just a quick update. Things are crazy out here in California. My entire office of over 350 has switched to working remotely. I've left the house twice the last five days (gas station for my truck and an extra five gallons in a gas can) and to drop a cable off at my office for a fellow employee to get their computer working. I may have some extra time on my hands, so a second coat of epoxy on these shelves might be in the plans. I actually screwed up when I did the epoxy (see, I make mistakes). I should have skim coated it with a squeegee on both sides, then did one or two flood coats. I just didn't know any better when working with raw wood, but now I do.

Stay safe everyone. I'm trying to stock up on some food right now so I can hunker down for a couple of months. I'm an introvert anyhow, so hanging around the house doesn't bug me too much. I just wish I had ordered some remodeling supplies, as I could take advantage of my free time. Spending money on things that can help me be self sufficient, versus going out with friends right now as well. Now if I could just find some ground beef and chicken to put in the freezer. No joke, I've not been able to buy those things or eggs.
Freaking crazy out right now!! I am working but it’s tense, I work in biotech and the equipment we are hooking up will be used to test vaccines.

Sam's club in Rockford had the police there today watching for hoarders. Those people (hoarders) are lowest of low lifes IMO

Grocers don't want you doing that, they want you to buy only what you need each week. If everyone buys enough for a couple of months, that will surely break the supply chain and cause even more of what we're already seeing in some store.

Out here it was encouraged. If we all keep going to the same places, this thing will continue to spread.
Tough call, each visit to a store feels more and more risky.

I agree. I'm just trying to honor the stay at home order. I can do that as long as I have food and water.

Well, it’s an example of confusing and inconsistent messaging. Jurisdictions that encourage people to stock up are creating panic buying and shortages. The National Grocers Association rep goes on television and tells people to slow down, there’s plenty of everything in the pipeline, just buy what you need for a week and stores will return to normal in short order. For someone like me that shops several times a week, shopping just once a week is a big reduction in store visits and exposure to the virus.

Back