Dave's Smokefire EX6 Experiences

So I did something crazy. I just ordered a Camp Chef Woodwind 36 WIFI, Cover, Sidekick Accessory and the 36" Front Shelf. I figured it would be nice to have a pellet cooker I can cook on while screwing around with the Ashfire.
I would love to hear your opinion of the slide and sear function on that grill.

So I did something crazy. I just ordered a Camp Chef Woodwind 36 WIFI, Cover, Sidekick Accessory and the 36" Front Shelf. I figured it would be nice to have a pellet cooker I can cook on while screwing around with the Ashfire.
Let me know what you think that’s definitely an option for me. It’s gonna be hard to keep the AshFire past it’s return date.

I would love to hear your opinion of the slide and sear function on that grill.

Because this is a Weber focused forum, I'm not sure I'll have the ability to share my thoughts here about the Woodwind. With that said, you can always direct message me in a few weeks asking my thoughts.

Because this is a Weber focused forum, I'm not sure I'll have the ability to share my thoughts here about the Woodwind. With that said, you can always direct message me in a few weeks asking my thoughts.
I don't think you will be shot down. After all look at all the nice things I and others have posted about non Weber. I.E. my Wolf, I had that Ducane I donated to my brother in law's charity, my Broilmaster as well. I say post away. The pellet grills intrigue me (but not to the tune of $1000 +). But, I want to hear about all the alternatives

There has been all kinds of posts with grills other than Weber. There is currently an ongoing discussion with camp chef and the pictures threads.

a while back somebody was asking about that Char-Griller duo. I've had a couple of them and we had a discussion on those also.

your concerns are thoughtful but I don't think it's a problem. I'm sure Chris will chime in at some point on it.

The slope is pretty minimal. On most pellet grills, you can run them on a downhill slope because they normally drain to one side. On the Smokefire, you can't do this. It needs to be leveled pretty well. I'll get some better shots this weekend when I tear the thing apart.

I could CNC plasma cut a piece of light gauge stainless to create a better slope towards the center to promote more aggressive grease drainage. I don't really want to though, but I do have the capability in my home shop. lol
What if you drilled some holes in the bottom channel to let grease drain from there to .or take a grinder and make a grove in the bottom. seems like that bottom hole get ash all over it covering it up

What if you drilled some holes in the bottom channel to let grease drain from there to .or take a grinder and make a grove in the bottom. seems like that bottom hole get ash all over it covering it up

The drilled holes would not line up with the small drip tray in the slide out drawer, so the grease would drip out of the drilled holes onto that horizontal surface on top of the drawer.

I think Weber needs to totally reengineer the grease management system. Even on the old Genesis grills with the very steep grease system ash and debris deposit themselves on the sides and can erupt into horrendous grease fires. At the very least they need to redesign the bottom with much steeper channels, deeper and longer to better allow grease to flow out despite all ashes

The drilled holes would not line up with the small drip tray in the slide out drawer, so the grease would drip out of the drilled holes onto that horizontal surface on top of the drawer.
No problem. You just have to use that extra drip tray you have laying around since Weber said you don't need one for the inside of the smoker. :p

I think Weber needs to totally reengineer the grease management system. Even on the old Genesis grills with the very steep grease system ash and debris deposit themselves on the sides and can erupt into horrendous grease fires. At the very least they need to redesign the bottom with much steeper channels, deeper and longer to better allow grease to flow out despite all ashes

On BBQ Brethren, they also point out the folly of having the grease slope to the fire pot in the first place. Unless of course Weber was counting on that grease to help get to 600 degrees. Seems like they could steeply slope it away from the fire pot and have two drip trays, one at each end. Then they could sell twice as many drip trays!

I would love to see earlier prototypes of the SF. Gotta wonder what grease management system ideas they discarded before deciding on this one.

There has been all kinds of posts with grills other than Weber. There is currently an ongoing discussion with camp chef and the pictures threads.

a while back somebody was asking about that Char-Griller duo. I've had a couple of them and we had a discussion on those also.

your concerns are thoughtful but I don't think it's a problem. I'm sure Chris will chime in at some point on it.

Cool. If Chris is good, I have no issues posting content. I may bust out my 4K video gear and start recording some of this stuff for YouTube. I think I might be able to earn six subscribers from this thread. lol

Nice. I am planning on getting the Woodwind 24 Wifi soon. Actually, if I can find a wifi controller that fits the ZGrill, I might try that one.

Thanks for that encouragement, Chris. I know full well that this is a Weber oriented site. No problem, because I love Webers. But I have enjoyed contrasting them with various alternative ideas out there - yes, I admit some of mine have been right off the wall 😆 . It's fun to see what other manufacturers are doing and how there stuff compares.

If you buy another cooker on Amazon for the new members or even some members like myself who forget sometimes I see we have an Amazon Shop at the top. If you use that link whatever you buy on Amazon helps Chris keep the lights on as they say. I will let Chris way in here but pretty sure it works that way.

I think no matter what you buy Chris will get something out of it.

Back