Dave's Smokefire EX6 Experiences

If I remember correctly, that force is gravity and it's a vertical force. Less friction between the vertical panel and the pellets than between pellets= more efficient pellet feed. This was not a complicated engineering problem but critical to proper operation and Weber flat blew it.

I was really hoping that the Smokefire would be a success and the anticipation was so high that the disappointment is magnified. The Weber faithful, like me, are losing trust rapidly.

There's a relationship between hopper angles, particulate size and repose angles that all contribute to risk of bridging. Gravity fed charcoal smokes usually have a reverse slope in the hopper, i.e. it's bigger at the firebox than it is at the door to reduce bridging risk as the charcoal slowly moves down during a burn. That's probably not realistic in most of these pellet grills, unfortunately.

So, I know I expressed some optimism regarding Weber's ability to get this right eventually. After reading more about pellet grills and the issues and even just the amount of work that goes into using them, I gotta say I'm probably just out on pellet grills in full. In my mind the whole idea of using a pellet grill should be to make it easier than actually burning/tending wood and/or charcoal to smoke your food. Between the issues that all pellet smokers seem to have, combined with the amount of work involved in cleaning them, and on top of it all add in the much higher price points than other traditional smokers.... I just don't see what the benefit is for using this medium at all.

While I have confidence that Weber can/will put their heads together and probably get most of this all figured out eventually, I guess my lingering question is still a huge WHY? Why would they even try to get into this market and why go through all of this at all? My suspicion is that it's purely a corporate decision to have a presence in the market (which I always felt was the same reason behind the Summit Charcoal), but as a huge fan I'd rather them just bask in the confidence of knowing they have already mastered this whole BBQ and grilling thing and don't need to venture into the "gimicky" world of compressed sawdust burning. lol. That's the way I'd frame it, at least.

My original hope was that Weber would lure me into the market, but sadly they have probably only reinforced my decision to not enter it.

So, I guess my question is to you folks that are in the pellet market (Weber or otherwise) why have you chosen to do the pellet thing? I mean, a propane or electric cabinet smoker would accomplish the "set it and forget it" goal and you don't have to deal with all of the stuff that goes with the pellet smokers, and you would probably spend way less money on fuel. Again, just wondering if I'm missing something here.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but is everyone using Weber Pellets or are some using other brands. I am suggesting the possibility of an issue with the different pellets?

So, I know I expressed some optimism regarding Weber's ability to get this right eventually. After reading more about pellet grills and the issues and even just the amount of work that goes into using them, I gotta say I'm probably just out on pellet grills in full. In my mind the whole idea of using a pellet grill should be to make it easier than actually burning/tending wood and/or charcoal to smoke your food. Between the issues that all pellet smokers seem to have, combined with the amount of work involved in cleaning them, and on top of it all add in the much higher price points than other traditional smokers.... I just don't see what the benefit is for using this medium at all.

While I have confidence that Weber can/will put their heads together and probably get most of this all figured out eventually, I guess my lingering question is still a huge WHY? Why would they even try to get into this market and why go through all of this at all? My suspicion is that it's purely a corporate decision to have a presence in the market (which I always felt was the same reason behind the Summit Charcoal), but as a huge fan I'd rather them just bask in the confidence of knowing they have already mastered this whole BBQ and grilling thing and don't need to venture into the "gimicky" world of compressed sawdust burning. lol. That's the way I'd frame it, at least.

My original hope was that Weber would lure me into the market, but sadly they have probably only reinforced my decision to not enter it.

So, I guess my question is to you folks that are in the pellet market (Weber or otherwise) why have you chosen to do the pellet thing? I mean, a propane or electric cabinet smoker would accomplish the "set it and forget it" goal and you don't have to deal with all of the stuff that goes with the pellet smokers, and you would probably spend way less money on fuel. Again, just wondering if I'm missing something here.

I get what you are saying, but you have to remember that Weber promised that the SmokeFire would fix all of the problems that most pellet grills have. That was the draw. That was why so many who never thought about getting a pellet cooker were suddenly excited about them. As to why Weber would want to get in the segment, the answer is pretty simple. They are in business to make money. If they see pellet smokers starting to get popular, they figure they need to be involved because it will eventually start to eat into their gas and charcoal business. Complacency will put you out of business. Ask Blockbuster about that. Weber themselves said that they were waiting to see if the pellet cookers were here to stay or just a gimmick. They decided they were here to stay and wanted to get in on it.

This entire episode has opened my eyes to pellet cookers and to be honest, I am still intrigued by them and will probably get one, but one at a cheaper price point than SmokeFire. I am going to wait awhile though before jumping in.

Mike, let me try to chime in here. I've had a WSM for a while now and really enjoy cooking with it. It's helped me learn how to smoke and other little lessons about different kinds of cooks. And, it turns out, I kind of like watching it and fiddling with the vents to keep the temps where I want them.

I also have a Genesis, a kettle, and a Q1200. I'm a Weber fan.

I was not even considering a pellet grill until Weber announced these new products. I got me to thinking that I would cook more outside with the convenience of the pellet cooker. So, I started looking at the pros and cons and my initial reaction was that I was going to get in line for the new SmokeFire. A couple of friends urged me to look at a different brand, which I did. After looking at it with the drip tray, I learned that cleaning is actually easier with the drip tray. And, I remembered the grease fires I've dealt with on the Genesis. So, I got the other brand.

So far, its been great. We've been using it a lot. On the weekend, its hardly ever turned off. I can adjust the temperature for different cooks and the cleaning is easy peazy. Just line the drip tray with foil, and I use foil liners for the drip bucket.

One weekend, we cooked sweet potato chips, mixed veggies with sausage, shrimp for lettuce wraps, then a 16 pound brisket overnight, then skillet mac and cheese the next day. This was all in one weekend. Again, the cleanup was easy. There is virtually no grease in the bottom of the cooker. It all goes down the tray into the bucket. Really a no worry affair.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but is everyone using Weber Pellets or are some using other brands. I am suggesting the possibility of an issue with the different pellets?

I've only used Weber pellets...I have 100 plus pounds of CookinPellets though.

Taking on a little project today. Quickly drew up a hopper separator using Fusion 360 and am printing it on my 3D printer in PETG. Hoping it comes out OK. I just switched the printer over to PETG and have not made many prints with this filament. If it prints correctly, it can be affixed inside of the hopper, front to back using 3M double-sided trim tape.

20200219145524-4dd16158-me.jpg

20200219145529-0a500426-me.jpg

Dave you are awesome!!!

lol. I don't know about that, but I'm trying. It's coming together but this will be a slow print because the infill of material is 80% and it's a fairly large piece. So far it seems to be printing pretty good but it won't be done until sometime in the early morning hours if everything goes to plan.

20200219154426-88674f0d-me.jpg

I'll preface this with "I am a Weber fan". My other cookers are all Weber and when I gift a grill it's always a Weber. I keep my Craigslist Pellet Pooper because it's easiest and I get great smokey flavor. I don't have to bend my broken back to connect a gas bottle, I don't have to bend over to put charcoal in my fuel ring on the WSM. I stand and pour pellets that give more flavor than gas or electric. I can look in my pellet hopper and know if I have enough fuel. No "Hot Squat" with a pellet grill. Clean up is not the hassle some make it out to be and I don't have to bend over much when I clean it. It costs me 36 cents an hour to operate on lo and slow cooks. My cook chamber is only 24 inches long but because of the shape I can stack 4 jerky racks in it and do lots of Jerky cooking at a steady 180°. My family likes the meat flavor so much that my Grandson asked me to make pulled pork for his wedding reception this September. I installed a WIFI controller in mine and life is even easier. My pellet grill is not a good grill like my kettle but it is one fine smoker and that's what I want. I just ordered a folding front shelf for my grill and that puts me in for $390 total.

Lew:
That table is a nice addition and I've found it to be worth the bucks. Since it folds down for storage, doesn't take up room when not in use. If my controller dies in the future, I'll add the WIFI controller too, but then I'll have to spend money for a new phone that does non-Microsoft apps!

Man toys are never cheap but I do try to keep the cost down. I found it on sale for $58. Wifi controllers and phones are not cheap. A long time ago I had a Chargriller Pro with a front shelf and loved it. I know my pellet pooper isn't as slick as most others but with this (maybe last) modification it will be one great cooking butt ugly machine.

Well evidently I'm not that awesome, because I was looking at the print and was like, that doesn't look like the right size. It wasn't. I had to mess around with the scaling after canceling the print. I did start over and it will now print in half the time, but still over 400 minutes. I'm also printing a raft to ensure better bed adhesion since it will be running while I'm sleeping.

20200219190220-f02d7c3a-me.jpg

Alright, I had to spend some time last evening tweaking the print settings for PETG. It's a great material to work with, but it's a pain to print correctly. I think I got the settings dialed in because the print came out great (w/ 60% infill). The part is very strong even though it's pretty thin.

20200220054514-d001f1f4-me.jpg

20200220054518-6c1305e1-me.jpg

20200220054526-c213b8d2-me.jpg

I went outside at 5:30 AM this morning just to test fit it into the hopper. It seemed to fit perfectly. When it get home from work, I'll clean the hopper walls and use a very small amount of 3M trim tape to pick a location above the auger intake. It may take several attempts to find a location to see if it helps with the bridging. Another thought I had was designing a side to side separator which would install parallel to the long walls (maybe a test for another day). I'll then refill the hopper with pellets and start over. The UHMW tape is also showing up, so I may kill two birds with one stone today by installing some of that friction reducing tape, along with the hopper separator.

Very cool application of your special skills. Most of us couldn't hope to replicate, but maybe Weber will see this as one possible add that might help. You should get a commission! We will all be very interested in seeing if it makes any difference. Thank you for you efforts and interesting posts!

Alright, I had to spend some time last evening tweaking the print settings for PETG. It's a great material to work with, but it's a pain to print correctly. I think I got the settings dialed in because the print came out great (w/ 60% infill). The part is very strong even though it's pretty thin.

20200220054514-d001f1f4-me.jpg

20200220054518-6c1305e1-me.jpg

20200220054526-c213b8d2-me.jpg

I went outside at 5:30 AM this morning just to test fit it into the hopper. It seemed to fit perfectly. When it get home from work, I'll clean the hopper walls and use a very small amount of 3M trim tape to pick a location above the auger intake. It may take several attempts to find a location to see if it helps with the bridging. Another thought I had was designing a side to side separator which would install parallel to the long walls (maybe a test for another day). I'll then refill the hopper with pellets and start over. The UHMW tape is also showing up, so I may kill two birds with one stone today by installing some of that friction reducing tape, along with the hopper separator.
I wonder too if an insert to increase the angle would be effective. Let gravity help to move the pellets toward the auger. It would reduce the capacity but still might help some.

I wonder too if an insert to increase the angle would be effective. Let gravity help to move the pellets toward the auger. It would reduce the capacity but still might help some.

I may pick up a roll of galvanized roof flashing material. It's easy to cut and I have a small box/pan brake I can use to form a steeper ramp. I want to see if some of the other ideas work first before taking away capacity. Who knows, I might end up loading this thing onto my trailer and dropping it off at Lowe's in the near future. :)

The divider may effectively cut capacity due to the placement of the low pellets sensor. I would expect the short side to drain faster than the long side. Does the software shut down the grill at X minutes after the sensor detects low pellets? If it does, some pellets could be taped over the sensor to prevent shut down, but one would lose the functionality of that feature.

Back