Dave Santana / “rcplanebuyer” Grate Set For Sale

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have a used but still very nice set of Dave Santana / rcplanebuyer grates I want to sell. I used these in my 1st generation Summit, but recently got an original Summit set. (Dave’s are still better!)

These will fit Genesis 1-5, x000, Silver, Gold, Platinum as well as current Spirit 300, SmokeFire and some other grills. I cleaned them thoroughly and think they came out nice. There’s a bit of carbon here and there, but a brand new set will look a lot worse after two cooks🤣.

IMG_4496.jpeg
IMG_4495.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg

I am not sure if Dave is even doing grates right now, but the last I heard from him is that prices would be well north of $200.

I am asking $125 plus shipping. My goal would be to wrap well in bubblewrap for shipping. Unfortunately, the Post Office no longer offers Flat Rate boxes long enough like Dave used to use. I will work with buyer on shipping options. These things are HEAVY!

Last edited:
Those will outlast whoever buys them, Jon! Quality ain't cheap, but Dave's grates are top notch. I've got a couple of sets for my Genesis grills, plus a couple half grates to accomodate the smoke boxes on my Summits. Practically artwork!

GLWS!

R

Samuel, No, they are probably 25 years old. I bought them from the guy who sold me the Flat Top (which included a dirty set without the flip up doors, which of course would be of no use on the Flat Top). The two additional sets I bought were sand blasted. Very clean, but media blasting leaves stainless with a dull and in some places pitted finish.

IMG_4372.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4372.jpeg
    IMG_4372.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 3
Jon:

I bought two sets of SS grates for our 2007 Genesis E-310+E320 in December for Christmas from Dave Santana. Dave used UPS for packaging. They were both very well packed with bubblewrap and each in boxes inside the UPS package. UPS driver was not happy when delivered due to the weight. I'm sure someone with scoop your grates in a heartbeat!

Dave runs hot & cold on his grates, it seems. I’ve heard on more than 1 occasion that he’s not making them any more only to see them back available at a later date. In August of 2023 he was supposedly offering up the “last” of the same grates that Jon is offering here. He had 2 or 3 of these sets left at the time and was blowing them out just to clear out the last of his inventory according to his email. I grabbed a set and they cost me $160 landed here in NY. The grates that @Dan Leighton picked up would be a different size admittedly, but it could also be an indicator that Dave decided to do some grates yet again. All I know for certain is that we’re not too many dollars away from me throwing an offer on Jon’s grates as well so somebody better grab them quick before his set winds up in NY too.

Last edited:
Jon:

I bought two sets of SS grates for our 2007 Genesis E-310+E320 in December for Christmas from Dave Santana. Dave used UPS for packaging. They were both very well packed with bubblewrap and each in boxes inside the UPS package. UPS driver was not happy when delivered due to the weight. I'm sure someone with scoop your grates in a heartbeat!
USPS no longer offers the long "game box" for flat rate shipping. None of their current flat rate boxes are long enough for these grates. Maybe they got tired of delivering Dave's heavy grates instead of board games as apparently that box was originally conceived for!

I am thinking that the higher shipping cost may be another factor in Dave no longer having much interest in selling his wonderful grates. It is too bad, since he is a fine craftsman and a good friend to us grill fans and restorers.

So, here's a chance to get one of his sets at a really good deal :smilekettle: !

Would love to have a set for my gen 2000 we've had for 26 years, but just don't use it that much anymore and I'm also kinda of a cast iron guy. Both the gen 2000 and the E320 have CI grates which I like a lot.

So those original Summit grates are still available to buy new. This is appliance factory parts and the price is for 1 grate.Screenshot_20240208-193355.png

I would not have thought you could find those old Weber 1st generation Summit grates at any price. If they don’t have the one with the fold-up doors to access the smoke box, they are practically identical to Dave’s grates, although not quite as heavy. That +$300 per set of two price probably keeps the last ones gathering dust on the warehouse shelf.

I would not have thought you could find those old Weber 1st generation Summit grates at any price. If they don’t have the one with the fold-up doors to access the smoke box, they are practically identical to Dave’s grates, although not quite as heavy. That +$300 per set of two price probably keeps the last ones gathering dust on the warehouse shelf.
I found a few on eBay that were new also for less, but still $100 a piece. I just can't justify that kind of money for grates that I'm going to put on a 25 yr.old grill. I'm going to clean up my stamped stainless steel grates for the upcoming grill season. Those are fancy enough for me.

These are Weber stamped stainless steel grates. I know they are at least 20 years old at this point. I remember buying them to replace the cast iron grates that came with the grill. All the welds are still solid and they cleaned up fairly quickly with some wire wheels in my drill.IMG_20240209_154928420.jpg

I have picked up a lot of old Genesis grills with those SS stamped grates where welds were broken. I suspect a lot of those were actually replacement aftermarket products.

I have picked up a lot of old Genesis grills with those SS stamped grates where welds were broken. I suspect a lot of those were actually replacement aftermarket products.
It actually crossed my mind that the vibration from my drill would break at least one of the welds but both grates are still solid with no warping. I wouldn't doubt that you've come across aftermarket look a likes. I see them all over the internet, and of course I'm not suggesting these are as good as the heavy stainless rod grates. They aren't, they are just the next best thing as far as ease of maintenance and longevity.

Back