Damper opening area vs. position

I know every one of you has been wondering it as you set the dampers on your WSM - the area of the opening is not linear with the rotation of the disk. If I want to set the openings to 1/3, for example, how far do I rotate the disk? It's not 1/3 of the way from the closed to open position.

Now you do not have to wonder any more.

a = 2/pi*(arccos(1 - f) - (1 - f)*sqrt(f*(2 - f)))

where "a" is the fraction of total area that is open (0 - 1), and "f" is the fraction of the rotation from fully closed to fully open (0 - 1).

In graph form, the relationship is:
weberOpening.png

The x-axis is "f" and y-axis is "a."

Some common settings:

a = 0, f = 0.
a = 1/4 (25%), f = 36.5%
a = 1/3 (33.3%), f = 44.7%
a = 1/2 (50%), f = 59.5%
a = 2/3 (66.7%), f = 73.5%
a = 3/4 (75%), f = 80.2%
a = 1 (100%), f = 100.0%

Now, I expect someone to create scales we can mount next to the damper disc with an arrow on the disk so we can set the area accurately.

ROFL
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Soon after I joined this board I read the Q&A sessions and Gary Wiviott had a comment about the engineer mentality of members of this board. I wonder where he got that idea.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah I was working on this myself. I see where I forgot to carry the 1. Now it all makes sense.
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though a cool idea, I hope someone takes this info and makes a nice circular template so I can mark my vents with some notches that would line up with a mark on the bowl to set these positions with this great accuracy!

Originally posted by Don Cash:
I was told there would be no math...

Don, at least it wasn't a story problem about trains leaving from different locations at different times and what time would they meet. YEEEESH!!!

John, love the effort and info.

Frankly, it's linear enough for me. Just curious, are you an engineer?

Originally posted by Alan F:
Frankly, it's linear enough for me.

Really, kind of what I figured.

When it comes down to it, you can call your favorite opening steps "1," "B," "Purple," and "pineapple." As long as you know that "B" is more than "1" and you set all three vents to "purple" to start your fire, and cook with two at "B" and one at "pineapple," the exact area is not that important.

Just curious, are you an engineer?

Why, yes. What makes you wonder that?

LOL. Purple and Pineapple that must be "engineer speak"?
JK but I cant tell if you're just kidding
icon_smile.gif

I guess I'm old school..just lean back and nudge the vents with my big toe while eyeballing it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I was just sitting down to figure out those calculations myself, John, but you beat me to it. I did double check your numbers and found everything to be correct.
icon_eek.gif

LOL... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back