Custom table for my trusty Performer

jmbaute

I've been kicking this idea around for many years and finally executed on it over the holidays. The forums here were an important part of my research so I wanted to contribute back to it by sharing the project. There is not a lot of info out there on how to do this- probably because out of the box it is a great product. But, I wanted a more built in solution as we'll be adding a patio soon and I want to have a dedicated spot for the kettle & WSM.

0B54JLC.jpg

The project started out as a 2000ish stainless steel Performer. I designed it first using Sketchup. The frame is all cedar and the counter top is 1/2" plywood with hardie board and ceramic tile. I've got two battery operated spot lights for the work surface. May eventually run legit electric lights. It sits on 4 casters. There is flashing on the frame where it is close to the kettle, but in most spots there are several inches of clearance.

I am not a carpenter- there were lots of challenges for me on this since I'm really not good with woodworking. But it really wasn't that difficult and those more skilled could do this pretty easily.

Cost of the project was about $300 not including the grill. You could do it much more cheaply with pressure treated lumber. Shockingly the custom cover I've ordered was closer to $500. But, I can't have it out there unprotected and I didn't want some crappy home made tarp covering it up.

More pictures are at the link below. I can also send my Sketchup file to anyone by request.

http://imgur.com/a/kuAa7#0

Happy grilling, & thanks to Chris A for building such a great community here. I've been using this site since the beginning but this is the first chance I've had to contribute.

John
Blacksburg, Va

Last edited:
That looks great. What did you use under the tile? And how did you cut the tile to the contour?

Thinking about doing this as well. This may be the final kick I need.

Ah, almost forgot about the tile. It was painful. I used a jigsaw and ceramic blade. I also used a circular saw for tile on the straight cuts. Counter is 1/2 inch plywood and hardie board with pre mixed thinset...used two small containers of that. Cutting the tile was one of the worst parts of the project.

Ah, almost forgot about the tile. It was painful. I used a jigsaw and ceramic blade. I also used a circular saw for tile on the straight cuts. Counter is 1/2 inch plywood and hardie board with pre mixed thinset...used two small containers of that. Cutting the tile was one of the worst parts of the project.

Oh brother I can imagine. I just retiled 2100 sq ft of my house. I have a table tile saw for straight cuts, but was curious how you did that curve. Good call on the flashing and Hardie board.

Very Nice indeed John!
Grilling is a pleasure and with this, you've just enhanced each experience even more so.
Congratulations Sir, Well Done!
and Welcome to the forum!

Very nice!

What was it about the cover that made it cost so much? Custom sown?

That and the fabric is quite expensive...and of course the one I picked out was the most expensive of all. But, it should last a long time, I've been replacing the weber covers every 2-3 years anyway, and the ones for these vintage performers are getting harder to find. The fabric is "Sunbrella" fabric. I am using www.GrillWraps.com .

jmbaute;
That's an extremely nice job in both concept and execution! I'll, no doubt, keep my two Performers just as they are but I can certainly admire a quality concept and be "just a bit jealous:rolleyes:"...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

If your gill skills are half as good as your design and building skills I want to come over for dinner. Those are some serious skills.....nicely done!

Thanks for all of the compliments. It was a fun project.

Today I hooked the gas ignition back up (haven't used it in years). I converted it to run on Coleman disposable bottle now. I forgot how much I liked that. And, as I was storing the SS frame I found where I had stored the original kettle and lid that came with it- I forgot that I had replaced them about 5 years ago. So, I put them back on the cart- now I have an extra performer! It is a little rough, though. I'll probably just use it for a spare or maybe try the Kettle Pizza thing on it.

If your gill skills are half as good as your design and building skills I want to come over for dinner. Those are some serious skills.....nicely done!

Indeed! We want action pictures too! Very nice

I just checked out the rest of the pictures------- I like it.

For not being much of a woodworker and not being great at cutting tiles I'd say you did a damn fine job! Looks great.

Nice job John! I had been thinking along the same lines for a Ceramic Tile top cart using a Genesis cart frame. I have some nice new leftover tiles, from floor projects I was going to use. But I just got a newer Performer off of Craigs List on Friday, so now I wont need to. I will be posting pictures of my new addition soon.

Back