Cured some Pork!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
On one of my recent forays to CostCo, they had an extra $8 off per package for whole loins. I grabbed a 9 pounder and brought it home (along with some spares and a rack of pork.) I cut the loin up into three sections, one of which went into the freezer, and the other two got dropped into a brine with salt, sugar, cure #1, bay leaves and juniper berries. I let the loins soak up the juice for six days.

Yesterday, I put four hours of smoke on them, hanging them in the "smoke box" on my pellet grill:

1639420282385.jpeg

After they had enough smoke on them, I vac sealed them, and dropped them into a 154F sous vide bath to finish coming up to temp. I let them go for about two hours, then pulled them out to cool and rest overnight in the fridge. This morning, I sliced them up nice and thin (left some large chunks so I can dice it up for various recipes.......got a split pea soup in mind!):

1639420293295.jpeg

This was a new recipe for me, as I usually just use my dry bacon cure on loins, and I really like how they turned out. The flavoring is a bit like a traditional German Kasseler Ripchen, which was a favorite of mine and my dad's at Dittmer's (local German butcher/sausage maker.) I'll definitely make this one again!

R

looks really good. i got a similar deal on pork loin and this weekend made sweet and sour pork for dinner. that loin cooked in 4 mins total in hot oil. and it held flavor really well. yours looks like an excellent way to make a lunch meat or breakfast meat.

looks really good. i got a similar deal on pork loin and this weekend made sweet and sour pork for dinner. that loin cooked in 4 mins total in hot oil. and it held flavor really well. yours looks like an excellent way to make a lunch meat or breakfast meat.
It's really tasty stuff. The recipe where I got my inspiration is HERE. I substituted juniper berries for the allspice, and dropped the garlic (I was out.) My loins were probably about 3lbs each, and I let them go for six days.

R

It's really tasty stuff. The recipe where I got my inspiration is HERE. I substituted juniper berries for the allspice, and dropped the garlic (I was out.) My loins were probably about 3lbs each, and I let them go for six days.

R
I bookmarked that. Thanks!
The Polish/German smokehouses I visited in Chicago used Beechwood.
I bought some to use on some kass rip pork and it seemed spot on.

Back