Curb Alert !!!

If you have the means to store several grills until next spring. That might be optimal. However, I would keep what you have up and keep listing new rehabs. You never know when someone is going to see the grill of their dreams and pounce.

A couple interesting reads on possible reasons for slumping sale trends:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/30/business/barbecue-grills-july-fourth-weber-traeger/index.html
https://www.thenationalherald.com/young-americans-love-to-bbq-so-whats-stopping-them/

I believe that there will always be a market for "classics;" be it cars or grills... but they better present and deliver the "WOW" factor for people to be excited to plunk down money. Otherwise, it's just a commodity and it's a quick race to the bottom feeder prices.

LMicheal's, this is for you.
Not at $3k it's not. Mu wife would roast my hide in it. Nice grill though. Perfect size for what I need now. Oddly it's only 2 main burners and a rotisserie burner. But, I would actually make use of that now more than current one

I’ve got a Gen 1 SSP with gas assist that I picked up and refreshed. I’m shocked that not a single person locally has shown any interest in it yet. Contrast that to my gassers which are usually gone less than 24 hours after I post them.

Maybe the coal burners just don’t like me…I’ve got a Char Q that I got zero takers on as well.
I just wanted to get one to try it out for my own personal use.

I just wanted to get one to try it out for my own personal use.
Same here. Curiosity got the best of me on both occasions. The same thing happened with a 1986 Sunbeam grill, a 2nd generation Summit and an old Ducane grill. I lost significant money on every one of them just to know more about how they’re put together and operate. I must be a slow learner….

Last edited:
Same here. Curiosity got the best of me on both occasions. The same thing happened with a 1986 Sunbeam grill, a 2nd generation Summit and an old Ducane grill. I lost significant money on every one of them just to know more about how they’re put together and operate. I must be a slow learner….
As far as picking up grills for flips I'm only really confident flipping newer summits and newer Genesis for decent money.

I might try putting some older stuff up for sale a Genesis 1000 or 2000 but I'm pretty sure they're worth more to me than they would be to any buyer.

Weber Summit for $100 near Madison, includes leaves... I'll never understand why people won't even do a basic 'cleaning' before listing an item.

Weber Summit for $100 near Madison, includes leaves... I'll never understand why people won't even do a basic 'cleaning' before listing an item.

If it were a 4 burner I would consider grabbing it. The 6 burner is just so overkill for a family of 5-6... IMO... that being said I am sure it is great if you have a huge backyard and a pool and have kids over all the time.

Those lids could be toast tho. Especially in PHX. Id show up with some cleaner to wipre them down before taking away
Yeah I think if someone was going to grab them for 10 bucks each that's a good price but I would expect them to be just for parts and if they were more than that that would be a bonus.
I'd go after the green platinum in Tucson before I'd go for these for sure

From what I've seen. Pretty rust free
How do the frames hold up in the desert? While the lids may be rough, I would think it would be a well spent $10, especially on the fat frame.
Going off only what I've seen in pictures they seem to be free of rust but black lid fade I'm sure is prominent unless the grill's been kept undercover. I haven't actually picked any up in Arizona yet so your guess is probably as good as mine.

Josh, that is how I look at those kind of deals. Even if there are significant problems with the grills, they are still a great deal as parts grills. If you could come out of the deal with a single good drip pan out of the two, it would be worth it.
Yes Bruce! I go in with high hopes and low expectations for the cheap or free ones. I've picked up a couple now that look absolutely terrible for free that have had parts on them I didn't realize that I absolutely needed.

I would pick them up if not for the lid, at least the durawood and lid handles, ignitor switch, and especially the tool hook handles. I do not know how many times I have posted pics of my grills here and someone always asks, "Where can I get those tool hook handles?"

Gen 1k Tool Hook Handles pic 4.jpg

Last edited:

Back