Cuban style pulled pork

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Good morning,

Here's the pork I did for Mother's Day. I did this on the 14.5 wsm

Marinating in the mojo

After 12 hours I put in the oven to finish off.

Pulled and topped with more mojo

A close up

Thanks for looking!!

The pork looks really juicy and flavorful. I made this style once before and i love the mojo flavor. Very nice!

I'd sure like a taste of that

>>>edit: your recipe below sounds perfect :)

Last edited:
Cuban style pork shoulder or Boston butt on a WSM (there is a lot of garlic in this)

To get better flavor the meat must marinate at least 24 hours prior up to 48 hours in a non reactive (no aluminum) container or large ziplock with a bowl underneath to prevent it from leaking in fridge. I prefer to use a glass Pyrex dish like the pic and then put plastic wrap on top. If you marinate for 48, turn your meat over after 24 hours.

Wash and pat dry the meat.

Make marinade in food processor or blender and purée the following for a 7lb Boston butt or pork shoulder

12 garlic cloves
1/4 bunch of cilantro leaves and tender stems only
1 tsp of salt per pound of meat in this case it would be 7 tsp
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup lime juice fresh is better but bottled is ok
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
(We don't like a lot of heat so if you want you can add 1-2 jalapeños with or without seeds, your call)

Purée to make a paste, if it's thin it's ok

If you want to wear gloves now is the time to put them on. Take the skin off if it's a shoulder the skin doesn't get crispy on a smoker on 220* it needs higher heat ( I haven't mastered it yet)
Take a knife and poke x holes deep as the knife will go. Spread the marinate on top and shove marinade inside the holes, also place a clove of garlic inside holes as deep as it will go. Rub marinade all around all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least overnite.

Prep your smoker minion method with any kind of wood. I wouldn't use mesquite. Mesquite is too strong. For this cook I used apple. Smoke this as if you are doing pulled pork. Smoke until you reach an IT of 200-205* for shredded or 190ish for sliced.
Let your meat rest. While resting make the additional mojo for the top.

Here is a basic recipe that you can start off if you want more just add more of everything just make sure you taste and adjust. You can also add heat too.
In a small sauce pan
Coat the bottom of the sauce pan with evoo
4 cloves of FRESH garlic, not the stuff from the bottle, chopped
And cook at a low heat for a few minutes you don't want to burn the garlic
Add a few shakes of pepper to taste
salt to taste
Add two tsp of lemon juice and
1 tsp of water
Smimmer on low for a few minutes until hot. Your not reducing just heating up.

Slice or pull the meat then pour the mojo on top serve with white rice with black beans.

Thanks for the recipe Jo - that looks like it turned out great! We're originally from NJ and definately miss the traditional pernil that you can get at restaurants all along Bergenline and elsewhere. Will have to try your version soon!

Back