Crossroads

So I'm buying a Stump's Stretch to use at comps and it will live in the trailer. I'll still do chicken on the OTG and of course my SJS will still be my personal grill.

I've come to this decision for basically two reasons. One, I just can't keep moving the WSMs back and forth. My back isn't as young as it used to be. Two, I just can't get enough pieces of meat in the two WSMs to be able to have options. Currently I can only cook one brisket, two butts, and 3/4 racks of ribs in the two cookers. I also have a lot of problems with inevitably the piece of meat on the bottom of the cooker gets done first and I have to unload the cooker to get to it. I also have to unload to foil, baste, spritz, etc.

So the decision must be made as to which one to sell and which one to retire to the backyard for just weekend type stuff. Keeping both will mean that one will sit unused and eventually just rot away. So which do I keep the 18 or the 22?

Russ

Russ I think you should keep the 22. Having more room allows for not getting a headache if you have company or just decide that you just want to do some extra stuff for leftovers. Also the last thing you want to do it keep the 18 and have a brisket that's too big to fit.

I would keep the 22" for the room.

Also, I would keep them both for 6 months just to make sure you don't find yourself using both.

It really depends on how many you want to smoke for. I have a mini and an 18 and find I use the mini more often because it's plenty big for two. I can fit a lot in my 18 and seldom think I need more.

But given a 22 and 18, I might be inclined to keep the 22 for big cooks and use the mini when I'm smoking for two. (OTOH I've heard it takes a lot more fuel to smoke on the 22.)

Russ,

I take my previous statement of keeping them both back. If you are going to sell the 18" cheap... and you are near Lakeland, then you should sell it to me when I am there next month.

Kidding of course!

with all that i would think you would know what your needs are. otherwise i agree that you should keep all of them and see what you cook on the most and this will clarify your needs.

keep the 22" then get (and use) a 18" charcoal chamber ring.
i find it uses less fuel and gets the same results with alllllll the cookin' room the 22" offers.

Keep the 18 and I'll give you 50 bucks for the 22 to save you from a wrenched back lugging that heavy 22 around - And I'll pick it up.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Seriously, if I were you I'd keep the 22 because of the flexibility it gives you and if you're cooking at home for family and friends do you want to fire up the Stumps.

Back