Crispy Wing Experiment on the Performer

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I have been looking at various ways to get crispier skin on my poultry without burning it. After seeing an older Cook’s
Illustrated article I decided to see what baking powder would do to the skin on my wings. I mixed 1 tablespoon baking
powder and 1 tablespoon kosher salt with ½ tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper. I seasoned both sides with the
mixture. I did this around 6:00 AM this morning. I left them in the refrigerator to air dry while I was a work. Tonight I
pulled the wings out of the refrigerator and seasoned them with Sweet Seduction.

Put onto the Performer, indirect, using RO lump with a couple chunks of hickory.

After about 45 minutes and with the Performer hitting a steady temp of 350 I gave the wings a little direct heat and called
them done. All wings were at 180-185 which is where I cook my wings, legs and thighs.

Plated with some yummy northern beans and ham that my wife threw together.

The baking powder, salt, pepper dry brine worked great! Skin was crisp and the meat was real juicy. Next time I will leave
them air dry for 24 hours to see if the skin will get a little crispier. I know I will be using this mixture as a dry brine with my
turkey this year. No aftertaste from the baking powder. Of course I could have just taken the wings and cooked them direct until done but that wouldn’t have
been much of an experiment and we don’t really care for burnt chicken skin. ;)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mike! I have seen this done on their tv series but was apprehensive in trying it. Wings look perfect, beans are making my mouth water!

Seen this done before as well, but like Regina I was not sure I wanted to give it a shot. How long were they dry brined? About 8-10 hours? Wonder if it would work as well without the direct heat at the end of the cook...ie on a WSM.

After seeing an older Cook’s Illustrated article I decided to see what baking powder would do to the skin on my wings. I mixed 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 tablespoon kosher salt with ½ tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper.
The baking powder, salt, pepper dry brine worked great!
So... it IS baking powder??? Sounds like the same works for blooming onions (minus the salt).
The flappers look SPECTACULAR Mike!!

So... it IS baking powder??? Sounds like the same works for blooming onions (minus the salt).
The flappers look SPECTACULAR Mike!!

I bad Jim! Yes it was baking powder, not the soda. Need to teach my computer to correct my thoughts as I type! :cool:
Corrected the initial post.

Last edited:
Great looking wings I'll have to give that method a shot. I get mine crispy by air drying, then toss them in evoo and rub, let them stew in that for a few hours to get the flavours all mingled together and then indirect on the kettle with a full chimney of lump and they're crispy in a half hour.

Tasty looking wings, Mike. I, too, have been wanting to try the baking powder massage... thanks for trying it out for us all!

Mike, those wings look so good I bet that they just flew away. You always have something guud going on at your house. And always look forward to your posts.

Back