Crispy Skin

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
I cook my salmon filets on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) fitted with a SlowNSear Plus almost on a weekly basis, however, results for my wife's preference for very crispy skin is a hit or miss. I cook my salmon filets on indirect heat for around twenty(20) minutes and then place them on direct heat for around five(5) minutes more. I don't want to leave it on direct heat for more than this time with the fear that the salmon filets will dry out. So, what's your secret in turning-out juicy salmon filets with crispy skin?

The skin always is crisp on mine but I leave it behind. When I am done cooking it I slide a big spatula between the skin and meat and leave the skin (which usually sticks just enough to hold it there). When the grates cool the skin releases and in the trash. Don't know why but I gotta thing about fish skin LOL

You'd have to change your cooking approach if you want crispy skin: Clean your grate and fire up. Get your grill hot, 350˚-375˚. Let the grate get hot for 15 minutes or so after target temp is reached. Season salmon (if you haven't already) and place skin down, direct heat. Don't cover grill at this point. Cook until the bottom of the fish starts to change color, about 5 minutes. Put the grill cover on to retain the heat and cook the topside of the fish - no need to flip. Check the fish in 3 minutes. Some white albumen will begin to appear but it will still be less cooked at the thickest spot. At 125˚ internal the salmon will be medium-rare, which many people prefer. If you aren't one of them, put the cover back on and cook the fish for 2 to 3 minutes more. The flesh will be firm to the touch and there will more of the white albumin all over the fish. At 135˚ the fish is cooked through but I would suggest removing the fish at 130˚ or so because residual heat will finish the cooking after removal.

Heck, I can't even find salmon that's been scaled, no way I could think about eating it.

It's fairly easy to scale. I go either way on eating it, depending on the moment. But I only like it if crisp.

Wipe excess moisture off of skin

Rub skin with salt to draw out moisture 15 minutes or so

Wipe off salt. Coat with olive oil.

Medium high heat on gas grill.

You will have to experiment but I always get crispy after removing from grill. Plate fish skin side up or it will get soggy. I usually pull skin off and put it to the side and eat first.

I really enjoy salmon on the grill. However, I always do mine on a cedar plank and leave the skin on the plank (to be scraped off later). We don't eat the skin.

Regarding cooking times: that depends entirely on the thickness of the filets. After looking at the particular filet, I grill it anywhere from 7.5 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the thickness. Steelhead is typically thinner, but finishes up nicely using the same technique as salmon (grilling less time due to it's lesser thickness).

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53 :wsm:

Last edited:
I do not eat skin. But there are a few people in my circle who fight over it. Unlike the kids who there being more than two have to fight over the eyes.

Back