Crisp chicken skin

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
IMPOSSIBLE!! Been using kettle for 30 yrs. watched every youtube vid where they said they got crispy skin. Yeah right. Ive done high heat,low heat, baking powder, slow n sear, direct, indirect, and my latest try was the vortex. I say anyone that says they can get juicy chicken with crispy skin (not burnt) is full of ****. Rant done.

Soooo. Are you letting vortex go full throttle vents wide open? For how long? My grill usually hitting 550-600 with vortex.

My family complains that I have gone too far in my quest for the chimera of crispy skin. My chicken wings are too crispy for them. Which is un-possible imho.

Blot with paper towels. On both sides. Blot with paper towels again. On both sides. Sprinkle/toss with salt. Put on raised cooling rack in the fridge. At least overnight. But longer is better. Then blot again. On both sides.

Then (my personal favorite power move) puncture the skin (on both sides) with one of those needle meat tenderizers. Sometimes I do that twice -- before going into the fridge and then again when they come out of the fridge. The little holes purportedly allow more ways for the fat under the skin too render out. Then cook over (i) high heat for as long as it takes, but (ii) without incineration.

You have to have the high heat to get crisp. But you can't handle almost any kind of flame/chicken fat contact while doing high heat. Because chicken juice is basically as flammable as gasoline. Which means incinerated chicken. High heat without incineration is the trickiest part.

#1 method for high heat/indirect is Vortex/kettle. #2 method is SNS/kettle. #3 method (which is the picture below) is GrillGrates on a gas grill. The underplate of the GGs pretty much eliminates flare-ups. So I can cook the chicken at 425F right over the burners without incineration. #4 method is Chris A's hot/fast chicken on a WSM. With the vertical distance between the coals and the chicken preventing incineration. #5 method is the same as #4, but you hang the chicken pieces (PBC-like).

#3, #4 and #5 technically are direct cooking, but the practical effect is the same as Vortex/indirect (i.e. no incineration).

You can also add flour, baking powder, breading to your method. But I find the most impactful things are dry wings, salt dry brine, punctured skin and high heat.

Attachments

• crispy chicken wings.JPG
    crispy chicken wings.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just made vortex wings tonight. Crispy skin, juicy inside. Wife said they were my best yet…I thought they were good, but not my best.

Rinse wings
Dry with paper towel
Lightly toss in aluminum free baking powder
Put on sheet pan, lightly cover with parchment paper or foil
Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, I actually let the last batch sit in fridge overnight due to bad weather and it turned out great.

get the kettle going, vents wide open
I toss a handful of wood chips on top the charcoal to boost the heat and add a little flavor
Put wings on perimeter of the grate
Cook 45 min
Flip and cook another 10 min
Remove wings, toss in sauce and eat away

FYI, I’m using an actual Vortex. Not a bootleg
And GBS grate with middle piece removed

I have adapted this to my Q but it works like a charm. It is the only way I do wings now. Check him out.

I've also read a few people cook hot and fast ribs using a similar method I described above.
Except I'm not sure they do the baking powder part.
And they cut the ribs apart from each other into single bone/pieces. I've not been brave enough to try this yet.

I also disagree, breast, thighs, drums and wings can be crisp....I use high heat only.
I cooked double breast connected by the bone skin on laid flat on the kettle.
Weber basket on each side full of hot charcoal.
Cooked to 160 juices pour out when cut.
Looks too done but the killer hogs bbq rub really makes things dark when you get it on there
raw and crisp.
1620219873081.png1620219893701.png

I separate the pieces, toss them with whatever spices, rub I decide on at the moment. Let them enjoy that for as long as a couple of days (if from frozen). Fill the vortex with the leftover coals from the baskets from the day before fill the chimney fully, I set the chimney into the vortex and light. When the chimney has ashes over, the old goods are involved so, just dump the whole chimney in the top of the Vortex set the grate on (unless you’re u lit through the center of the GBS, my normal) vents full throttle. Forty minutes, no flipping, just have a platter ready and napkins!
Other pieces can be treated the same way with fantastic results. It is all about the heat.

I’m with Bob.
Disagree about the crispy.
I plead “No Contest” on being full of feces.
Some people get great results with just the baskets and other techniques. Lots of people on here have some pretty good BBQ Kung Fu. That was not my experience so I grabbed the Vortex. I haven’t had a problem getting the desired results.
CB910BBC-BCF3-44FE-95D0-996CE0B9785A.jpeg

Back