Vortex

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
Made one for my 22 “er. Looking for crispy wings!! We’ll see....

Attachments

• FDCF4A3E-5755-4CB2-B64A-184FB3CA6EB5.jpeg
    FDCF4A3E-5755-4CB2-B64A-184FB3CA6EB5.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44
Let us know with pics how it works out. What did you make it from. I have been toying with getting a knock off or making one.

I love my Vortex, though I went for the original OEM version and bought it from OwensBBQ. I know the owners and wanted to throw business their way. I have a couple of future projects with the Vortex in the plans. I want to try it with my Cajun Bandit rotisserie, spreading the coals around the perimeter, somewhat similar to the minion method, though most if not all will be lit. The Vortex will be empty and I will probably rest a small tray to catch drippings on it.

The second future plan is using the hole in my MasterTouch grate to hold a regular carbon steel wok. The vortex will be 3/4 full of lump charcoal and I am hoping for temps hot enough to make the wok effective. We will see. I may have to park some sort of fan to help encourage the burn, but maybe not.

I normally use the Vortex for thick cut pork ribs or chicken thighs. I've tried it for hot and fast, single-cut ribs, but prefer them done more traditionally in the fairly low and slow approach both for flavor and texture. Still, hot and fast can be useful if you have to turn something out "quick".

I love my Vortex, though I went for the original OEM version and bought it from OwensBBQ. I know the owners and wanted to throw business their way. I have a couple of future projects with the Vortex in the plans. I want to try it with my Cajun Bandit rotisserie, spreading the coals around the perimeter, somewhat similar to the minion method, though most if not all will be lit. The Vortex will be empty and I will probably rest a small tray to catch drippings on it.

The second future plan is using the hole in my MasterTouch grate to hold a regular carbon steel wok. The vortex will be 3/4 full of lump charcoal and I am hoping for temps hot enough to make the wok effective. We will see. I may have to park some sort of fan to help encourage the burn, but maybe not.

I normally use the Vortex for thick cut pork ribs or chicken thighs. I've tried it for hot and fast, single-cut ribs, but prefer them done more traditionally in the fairly low and slow approach both for flavor and texture. Still, hot and fast can be useful if you have to turn something out "quick".

Using the GBS grate and wok is so quick and easy. You'll love it.

Back