Couple questions on smoking

Niko Coutroulis

Hi all.

I have a WSM 18" and I've only ever done ribs. Want to do a turkey for TG so figured I'd try a spatchcocked chicken first. I did and it turned out great, but I have a couple questions.

The recipe was from The Meat Church—that guy knows what he's doing, and it called for 1.5 hrs @ around 300, which seemed high to me. My bird (7.5 lbs) ended up taking closer to 3 hrs. Does that seem right?

Also, I'm having trouble keeping my smoker at the lower temps. Seems to climb upwards of 275 no matter what I do. Any help/insight in this area would be great.

Lastly, I'm using Cowboy lump charcoal, then I toss a few pieces of mesquite in there. Is there a better/different wood that would give the food a different flavor profile?

Thanks in advance for any help

The recipe was from The Meat Church—that guy knows what he's doing, and it called for 1.5 hrs @ around 300, which seemed high to me. My bird (7.5 lbs) ended up taking closer to 3 hrs. Does that seem right?
Too many variables to tell, Is your thermo accurate, outside OTA's, wind, rain etc.

Also, I'm having trouble keeping my smoker at the lower temps. Seems to climb upwards of 275 no matter what I do. Any help/insight in this area would be great.
Some of us prefer running at 275.
What are you using for a heat sink ( if any ) water, clay saucer or other?

Lastly, I'm using Cowboy lump charcoal, then I toss a few pieces of mesquite in there. Is there a better/different wood that would give the food a different flavor profile?
C-boy usually burns hot and fast so that can add to your temp problems. Denser lump burns lower and slower but it all depends on vent settings.
Mesquite is a one of a kind smoke flavor. You should try some nut wood like hickory or it's milder cousin pecan, Fruitwood like cherry. apple, maple.

Hey thanks!

so the thermometer on the top is way off, I used a digital and it was showing upwards of 300 for most of the cook. I had the bottom vents at about 50%, top was probably about the same.

Curious how you start yours. I used a chimney and dumped the burning coals atop a bed of unlit ones, then closed off the vents to 50% or so. maybe I should close them further?

will def try different wood for sure. Trying to get this down so I can do a turkey for Thanksgiving, so any help is much appreciated

thanks again

How much lit coal have you been pouring over the unlit? I use a different method but, I’m not often trying for crispy skin on fowl. My “low” method is a mix of Harry Soo and Enrico Brandizzi. The “Soo” part, I line the bottom the basket with smoke media, then FILL the ring as full as human possible. The “Brandizzi” part, assemble the WSM, then light the coal through the door with a torch 2-3 minutes (sometimes less) close it up and wait. That’s for a 250-275* cook, Butt, Ribs or, Brisket.

Curious how you start yours. I used a chimney and dumped the burning coals atop a bed of unlit ones, then closed off the vents to 50% or so. maybe I should close them further?
For most smoking I use the minion method, for hot and fast the standard method.

Thanks all! I'd love to hear some advice/recipes for smoking a turkey. I'm hoping its not too different than the chicken, just takes longer to cook?

Mesquite and Hickory are kind of harsh for Turkey. They are better for Beef and Pork.
I usually use peach,apple and or,Pecan,and then Cherry to give it a dark Color. Don't use too much wood.
You have to be careful with Fowl. It is easy to add too much smoke.

Mesquite and Hickory are kind of harsh for Turkey. They are better for Beef and Pork.
I usually use peach,apple and or,Pecan,and then Cherry to give it a dark Color. Don't use too much wood.
You have to be careful with Fowl. It is easy to add too much smoke.
A small amount of mesquite on fowl is actually quite good. Just don’t go tossing in whole chunks. Buy the mesquite chips (Home Depot or Amazon) and toss a few into the unlit coals where the fire is going, not onto the hot coals. Fruit woods as described are nice on turkey. Oak is too but again, not a large amount. You’re seeking to enhance the bird, not announce the bird.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy some great family time.

How much lit coal have you been pouring over the unlit? I use a different method but, I’m not often trying for crispy skin on fowl. My “low” method is a mix of Harry Soo and Enrico Brandizzi. The “Soo” part, I line the bottom the basket with smoke media, then FILL the ring as full as human possible. The “Brandizzi” part, assemble the WSM, then light the coal through the door with a torch 2-3 minutes (sometimes less) close it up and wait. That’s for a 250-275* cook, Butt, Ribs or, Brisket.
What kind of torch and do you stick the nozzle inside the door?
I have the one from Harbor Freight that hooks up to a propane tank.

Attachments

• torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
A small amount of mesquite on fowl is actually quite good. Just don’t go tossing in whole chunks. Buy the mesquite chips (Home Depot or Amazon) and toss a few into the unlit coals where the fire is going, not onto the hot coals. Fruit woods as described are nice on turkey. Oak is too but again, not a large amount. You’re seeking to enhance the bird, not announce the bird.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy some great family time.
Hey thanks! I actually got some apple wood, but chunks...was going to toss a couple of those on with the lump charcoal. What do you think? Happy TG and thanks for your help

Back