Costco Cost Comparison - "Choice Flats" vs "Prime" Full Packer

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I just Bought a "Prime" full packer brisket at Costco for $2.99 lb.

Their "Choice" Flats were $5.59 lb.

Why is this? Why would an inferior grade flat cost nearly twice as much as a Prime packer?

I just Bought a "Prime" full packer brisket at Costco for $2.99 lb.

Their "Choice" Flats were $5.59 lb.

Why is this? Why would an inferior grade flat cost nearly twice as much as a Prime packer?

Was it about to expire? lol That's pretty interesting I must say.

Whole packer hasn't been trimmed of "waste", the flat has.
That's about right. There really isn't a markup for prime vs choice in brisket that I've seen. You'll see selects at the supermarket for the same price. There typically is a big difference in trim vs. packer. Add in flat only and the price goes up more. A lot of people want just the flat. Those people are wrong.

That's about right. There really isn't a markup for prime vs choice in brisket that I've seen. You'll see selects at the supermarket for the same price. There typically is a big difference in trim vs. packer. Add in flat only and the price goes up more. A lot of people want just the flat. Those people are wrong.

Totally agree with Dustin here. I see the same prices around my area. And, often wonder how they ever sell those little expensive flats. Then, I found out...lots of people, like my mother, do their thing with them in the oven, and actually do a pretty good job on them...at least for tenderness. I know hers just don't taste like a true Central Texas style brisket. In fact, I only do packers, and mine and hers are like two different meats...I just prefer mine over hers. But, my dad has never cooked anything inside or outside, so she does a pretty good job with what she's got. And, people like her only want a trimmed flat.

Heck, even when I go to one of great Texas barbecue joints and order brisket, I always ask for my slices to come from the point.

Totally agree with Dustin here. I see the same prices around my area. And, often wonder how they ever sell those little expensive flats. Then, I found out...lots of people, like my mother, do their thing with them in the oven, and actually do a pretty good job on them...at least for tenderness. I know hers just don't taste like a true Central Texas style brisket. In fact, I only do packers, and mine and hers are like two different meats...I just prefer mine over hers. But, my dad has never cooked anything inside or outside, so she does a pretty good job with what she's got. And, people like her only want a trimmed flat.

Heck, even when I go to one of great Texas barbecue joints and order brisket, I always ask for my slices to come from the point.

Mick, I just made a post asking for some tips on cooking a brisket. Can you please go to that post and give me some tips? (I bought my first brisket yester and want to cook it this weekend)

Mick, I just made a post asking for some tips on cooking a brisket. Can you please go to that post and give me some tips? (I bought my first brisket yester and want to cook it this weekend)

Roger, I just replied to your other post. One thing I forgot to say is, before you go out to start your smoker, set the brisket out of the refrigerator. Just let it set at room temp for about an hour before throwing on the smoker. Always do that with beef...whether you're grilling steaks, or smoking a brisket or beef ribs. Of course, beef is the only meat that should get to room temp before hitting the fire. Good luck with your brisket. It should be good. Can't wait to try one in my new WSM myself. I'm getting too old to sit out there watching my old stickburner during a smoke, as it takes constant attention.

Mick, thanks for the tips. You'll find your new WSM to be a walk in the park compared to a stick burner. I finally got my WSM set up with a BBQ Guru DigiQ and it's even easier! The only time I have to check it now is to see if the Guru is holding the temp steady, because it is hard to believe that it works so well.

Back