Cost of Pork Butts

Justin D

TVWBB Member
I just started smoking last year... at the time, pork butts at BJs Wholesale were going for $2.49/lb... so that became my baseline I suppose. A couple of days ago, I was there and the butts are going for $1.49/lb! So I picked up a couple and they're on the smoker now.

For those of you who have been smoking for longer than I have... what kind of prices should I be expecting on average?

$1.49 has to be a sale price. Around here, they are going for $2.99, on sale for $1.99.

At my local Tom Thumb their "every day low price" is $2.49 for bone in pork shoulder. I have not checked sams recently but am planning on picking one up today or tomorrow for a Saturday cook.

$2-3/lb at most places around here, except Wegman's. They've been $1.29-$1.49 as long as I've been buying 'em. And best of all, they're not Smithfield. :D

Twin packs of bone-in butts at my local Costco are currently $1.95/lb.
Summer sales here last year, at a regular grocery store, were $1.50 but used to be $1.00.
Hog production is rebounding after the piglet virus, so hopefully prices will fall soon.

Regular price ar Wegmans has been $1.79 for as long as I can remember.

Really?

Wegman's regular price in this area was $1.29 for a several years...up until late last summer, IIRC....then jumped to $1.79 with the oinker virus crisis....now back down to $1.49 regular everyday price.

=Martin=

Back