COS: tuning or convection plates?

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I couldn't resist the price and picked up a Chinese made cheapo "OK Joe's Highland" 18" offset from our local wallyworld the other day. There's several different brands that are basically the same design, so do any of you guys have any experience using tuning plates or Horizon style convection plates in a similar pit?

I've only done one cook so far and just used a water bowl like Aaron Franklin does on his videos. I will tell you this from just one cook so far. Six months seasoned hickory is NOT dry enough to burn cleanly in small offsets. :eek:Thankfully, that's not all I had on hand and although I didn't have time to reset the bark on my ribs, they turned out pretty dang good. If any of you guys have any suggestions whether I should just leave it open or use plates, I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:
When I had a COS, I added a baffle to deflect heat from the firebox, lowered the exhaust chimney, and put a meatloaf pan of water where the bowl is in your picture. It kept reasonably even temps and, although it ate fuel and required constant attention, cooked some great Q. I still miss it.

I have pictures if you want them.

When I had a COS, I added a baffle to deflect heat from the firebox, lowered the exhaust chimney, and put a meatloaf pan of water where the bowl is in your picture. It kept reasonably even temps and, although it ate fuel and required constant attention, cooked some great Q. I still miss it.

I have pictures if you want them.

Lew, sounds like we've been down the same road. I went through a good bit of sheet metal drops from the Nashville Metal Supermarket experimenting with my first smoker, a little New Braunfels Silver smoker.

Regarding water pans, the loaf pan was my first try, but I'm more impressed with the mixing bowl. While the top is wide, I can still put meat on relatively close to the FB. I also have a feeling that the round bowl won't mess with temps across the pit as much. My buddy has a little 16" Horizon and notices a difference depending on which way a loaf pan is turned, length wise being the best, to the detriment of space, obviously.

I'm leaning more toward the Horizon style convection plate as opposed to cutting tuning plates, but we'll see. Thanks for the input, and sure, I'd appreciate any pics you might have of the baffle you made.

Regards, Dave

Lew, sounds like we've been down the same road. I went through a good bit of sheet metal drops from the Nashville Metal Supermarket experimenting with my first smoker, a little New Braunfels Silver smoker.

Regarding water pans, the loaf pan was my first try, but I'm more impressed with the mixing bowl. While the top is wide, I can still put meat on relatively close to the FB. I also have a feeling that the round bowl won't mess with temps across the pit as much. My buddy has a little 16" Horizon and notices a difference depending on which way a loaf pan is turned, length wise being the best, to the detriment of space, obviously.

I'm leaning more toward the Horizon style convection plate as opposed to cutting tuning plates, but we'll see. Thanks for the input, and sure, I'd appreciate any pics you might have of the baffle you made.

Regards, Dave
Here you go.

14512137712_b6e8be9149_c.jpg

Tuning plates are how I would set it up.....3/16" or 1/4" plate.
These force the smoke plume/heat into a more evenly distributed pattern in the smoke chamber.
Using "loose" plates allows you to "tune" the flow.

HPIM8066.jpg

Tuning plates are how I would set it up.....3/16" or 1/4" plate.
These force the smoke plume/heat into a more evenly distributed pattern in the smoke chamber.
Using "loose" plates allows you to "tune" the flow.

HPIM8066.jpg

Thanks a bunch, Joe. There aren't any coal grate supports, so I'll have to decide dimensions and how high to lay them.

Back