Corrected Version - Lomo Al Tropo

Another Bob B

TVWBB Pro
This was a suggestion by Bob Correll. Lomo is Beef Tenderloin and Al Tropo is cloth. A Lomo Al Tropo cook is Columbian, South American. Take a 16 x 16 cotton cloth and cover most of it with 1/4 inch table salt. Sprinkle your choice chopped herbs over salt. I used 1 Tblspn each of Basil, Oregano, Parsley and 1 tspn ground Thyme. Lay tenderloin on cloth, pull up corners to cover ends and roll tenderloin to form a cocoon of salt around the meat with the cloth holding it in place . Tie off at 2 inch intervals w/butcher string . 1 full chimney of lit briquettes followed by 1 unlit. After all are lit and ashed over place the wrapped Lomo directly ON the hot coals, grate removed. The cloth will burn off leaving a cocoon of salt, thereby cooking your Lomo Al Tropo. Now this is very important. Cook on one side for exactly 9 minutes, turn over and cook opposite side for exactly 8 minutes. Remove your Lomo to a table where you can break the salt cocoon and brush off any remaining salt . Your Lomo will be a perfect rare to med/rare and one of the most outstanding tenderloin roasts you have ever served . I will be doing another one next week. Thank you, TY Bob Correll. Enjoy all. Bob Bailey

Now you're cookin' Bob, it looks Great!

Thanks for posting!
I know that I, and I'm sure others, will be giving it a go soon!

Bob...
INCREDIBLE.
HoleyMackerelMan, This is outstanding! Can I have some??!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks guys for all the kind comments. This was my first post with pics and as you already know the original didn't materialize. The pics I did post did not do justice to the real outcome of the meal. It was truly an outstanding cook and the total cook time was 17 minutes. I look forward to doing it again and promise I will do better on the pictures next time. Again thanks for viewing. Bob Bailey
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Mr Lampe - As you already know, you have an open invitation for a spot at my table anytime. Bring your golf clubs. I live on a beautiful Golf Course called Alderbrook. The golf cart is in my garage, always ready to go and we can play before or after the meal. Bob

Unreal!!! Now, that's taking it up a notch!

Great meal, Bob. Thanks for posting. I'm definitely going to give this a go.

Bob,
Hope you don't mind me re-posting the Steven Raichlen YouTube link for this method, for those that may have missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa09qbK6QGI

I keep replaying the rolling up part, because it seems that the meat is in direct contact with the salt on one side, but when folded, and rolled, the salt seems like it would be between the cloth and meat.
And if so, does the salt encase the meat once the cloth has burned off?
Maybe I need to make one to better see how it works
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for being a TVWB Pioneer in making one of these!
edit to note that SR spells it Trapo instead of Tropo.

Hi Bob C - Thanks for re-posting the You Tube video. You bring up a great point about the rolled cloth. I thought about it when I posted the cook, but didn't fully explain it. The extra cloth WAS encased in the cocoon of salt and the meat was not affected by it when I broke the salt cocoon. It stayed with the salt remnants. I didn't post all the pics I took. If, when you click on a pic I think you can then click next and see them all. You will see the remnants then. I hope that better expains it. Bob

Thanks Bob!

I went through your pictures, and have decided that the salt encasement is the key, touching or not touching the meat surface.

Back