Cornish Hens & Stuffed Summer Squash

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
It's been a really long time since I last had a Cornish hen, so that's what was on tonight's menu. The birds were cooked on the Performer at 350°F using Nature-Glo Lump as the fuel plus a few handfuls of wood chips (combo of apple, cherry, maple, and hickory). I was quite happy with the results of this cook...will most definitely be cooking Cornish hens more frequently from now on. Here are the pics...

The hens were sprinkled with Hyde Park Seasoning from The Spice House.

Action shots.

While waiting for the birds to cook, got started on the side dish by dicing some mushrooms.

Sautéed with shallot and garlic.

Hollowed out some summer squash with a spoon, filled with mushroom stuffing, and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Don't have any action shots of the squash on the grill.

Pulled the hens off the grill at an internal temperature of 160°F in the thigh.

Plated and ready to be inhaled.

Like you Jerome it's been a long time since I've made cornish hens but after seeing this great cook it won't be much longer!

Great looking hens Jerome, and the summer squash looks awesome!!! Very impressive knife you have there!!!

Me loves me game hens from the grill! I've cooked them before, but cut them in half and stuffed a mixture of onions, mushrooms, and prosciutto under the skin. Next time I'll probably leave them whole and stuff some sort of herbed rice under the skin as well as inside each bird. Heaven on a plate!

Yours look excellent, and I really love the summer squash you cooked.

Thanks for sharing!
Barret

Back