Cornish Game Hens

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We were in the store over the weekend and I saw the Cornish Game Hens on display. Hadn't had them in a while so I picked up a couple. I stuffed the hens with apple and cornbread stuffing To go along with the hens I made Roasted Potatoes stuffed with mushrooms and cheddar cheese, Grilled Corn on the Cob and some Buttermilk and Cheddar Corn Bread. Came out really well. Here are a few of the pic's.

Got the potatoes ready to go.

Got a few mushrooms going for the potato stuffing.

Potatoes all stuffed and ready for the grill.

Birds all stuffed and ready to go.

Cornbread on the grill.

Cornbread done!

Hens on.

Hens and potatoes all done.

Corn getting there.

Plated.

Well, that's it. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Nice job! I so want your corn bread secrets. I tend to burn the bottom every time. Do you heat your skillet up first? And went temp are you rocking at?

Great post. MInd sharing the cornbread recipe? Buttermilk always makes cornbread taste better. I've been using the Grandmothers Buttermilk cornbread recipe for a while now. But always interested in trying something new. Thanks!

Nice job! I so want your corn bread secrets. I tend to burn the bottom every time. Do you heat your skillet up first? And went temp are you rocking at?

Hey Todd... No secrets here! First of all I always use Cast Iron. Yes, I pre-heated it. Oil the pan very well. Make sure to cook on indirect heat. I use a two zone set up for this, charcoal on each side of the kettle. I was probably at around 350 degrees kettle temp. I let the coals burn down a bit to really heat up the CI Grate and pan. This was probably on 25 minutes max. Used a wooden tooth pick to confirm doneness. Good Luck.

Great post. MInd sharing the cornbread recipe? Buttermilk always makes cornbread taste better. I've been using the Grandmothers Buttermilk cornbread recipe for a while now. But always interested in trying something new. Thanks!

Tim... I used a Weber recipe on the cornbread. It is in the New Real Grilling Cookbook, pg. 288. It is called Buttermilk-Cheddar Corn Bread. There are two Weber books called Real Grilling. Make sure NEW is in the title. I'm not sure how to link it up to you. There is another Weber Recipe for cornbread and I believe it is called Skillet Cornbread. I think that recipe is on their website or on either one of their phone app's. I've done that one several times and it is also good.

Last edited:

Back