Corned beef

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
Looking to corn a brisket flat to make homemade corned beef for St. Paddy’s day. However, after reading some threads and reading amazing ribs.com and their recipe, I am a bit freaked out of the idea of using the wrong amount of Prague powder. The package says 1 teaspoon per 5lbs, other recipes I see say 3 teaspoons for 4-5lbs, etc. With some much variations (and lots of warnings), I am apprehensive. Anyone have a good tip for corned beef?

Meathead uses a wet cure so you use more Praque powder because it's diluted in a gal of distilled water.
Trust the calculator they provide, it will give you the proper % per lb of beef.
I used it before.

Tim, I followed the Almost Katz' recipe from Amazing Ribs for the pastrami I made last weekend. I did follow the recipe exactly for salt & cure #1 per gallon (pickling spices are another matter.....) See my thread in Charcuterie for the results. Yes, I'd do it again.

My sister in law and I used to do the patronal festival at my parish(St. Patricks) for 60. We used the “Cooks Illustrated” recipe, no Prague powder. It’s not red when it’s done but, who really cares? The color is more basic braised brown but, the flavor is FANTASTIC!
The last one we did was 60# of brisket with all the associated sides and volumes of Jameson, Bushmills, Guinness champagne and so on.
We did it for almost 20 years and when we said we were just worn out not one person came forward to learn how we did it. It broke my heart.
Here is the “big” version:
St. Patrick’s Day Feast
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
Beef
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
41 2/3
8 1/3
3 1/3 6 2/3
3 1/3
6 2/3
6 2/3
3 1/3
13 1/3
pounds brisket, trimmed
pounds baby carrots
pounds Brussels sprout
pounds onion
heads cabbage
pounds red new potato
Spice rub
cups Kosher salt
tablespoons black pepper -- cracked
tablespoons ground allspice
tablespoons dried thyme
tablespoons Paprika
Bay leaves -- Crumbled
Description: “Church Dinner”

I don’t understand why it pasted that way but, I think you get the idea .

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone - I'll trust the experts (and your guidance) on this one - gonna see if I can pick up a brisket this weekend!

The one I sent takes basically takes a week to “corn” so you can delay the actual feast (translate) until Saturday. That’s what I’m doing this year, the kids will come and we will have a great dinner!

My sister in law and I used to do the patronal festival at my parish(St. Patricks) for 60. We used the “Cooks Illustrated” recipe, no Prague powder. It’s not red when it’s done but, who really cares? The color is more basic braised brown but, the flavor is FANTASTIC!
The last one we did was 60# of brisket with all the associated sides and volumes of Jameson, Bushmills, Guinness champagne and so on.
We did it for almost 20 years and when we said we were just worn out not one person came forward to learn how we did it. It broke my heart.
Here is the “big” version:
St. Patrick’s Day Feast
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
Beef
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
41 2/3
8 1/3
3 1/3 6 2/3
3 1/3
6 2/3
6 2/3
3 1/3
13 1/3
pounds brisket, trimmed
pounds baby carrots
pounds Brussels sprout
pounds onion
heads cabbage
pounds red new potato
Spice rub
cups Kosher salt
tablespoons black pepper -- cracked
tablespoons ground allspice
tablespoons dried thyme
tablespoons Paprika
Bay leaves -- Crumbled
Description: “Church Dinner”

I don’t understand why it pasted that way but, I think you get the idea .
What a shame no one stepped up!

Back