Corn on the Cob (your method)

IMG_5407.jpg

Oops! Got a little too close to the coals while cooking indirect (didn't soak). Still turned out pretty good though. It all got eaten
icon_rolleyes.gif

Don's comment made me laugh, a lot.

I throw them on, no husk/silk, turn them until nicely brown, then eat. Occasionally slather with something, usually just plain though.

I just tried it on my WSM, while I was smoking beef ribs and swordfish. The temp was 225, I EVOO, and applied Emeril's original essence. Kept them on for two hours. Heaven!

Originally posted by Bill Spearman:
Anybody ever try this? http://www.wimp.com/shuckcorn/

OK, I tried this method yesterday. Corn slid out after 8-9 shakes (didn't cut it quite enough).

Although the method worked and the corn was cooked perfectly, I don't know that I'll do it this way again.

The down side:
The corn stayed way too hot for way too long when I was ready to eat it.

When you're ready for an ear and it's too hot to handle, well, I'll find another way.

ive cooked a few ears in the microwave lately, didn't post it here because I though I might be laughed off the board
icon_wink.gif
... Cool technique Bill, I'll have to try that next time.

I suppose that'd be a good way to shuck the corn pretty much any way you cooked it, come to think about it.

Another vote for straight grilling over direct heat, corn completely peeled. I love the sweet flavor you get from the caramelized corn kernels when they turn brown. Slathering stuff on the corn during grilling seems to be a waste of time - most of it comes off anyway. Wait until the corn is done to add butter, salt, pepper, or other spices.

I soak mine in the husk for awhile 20-30 minutes so the leaves do no burn so fast, then over med high heat on the gasser and close to direct on charcoal rotaing every 10 minutes. Bring the sugars to the surface, no need for butter or anything if they are done right.
Kevin.

I have done the soak in water for an hour with the husk and then on direct. That worked well. Also have done indirect with RSC and basted the corn with the RSC sauce. Corn was dehusked and it came out great. Also have gotten corn from the grocery that was already dehusked with the ends cut off. Microwaved 3 minutes then finished off on the grill. Also worked good.

I've been reading some of Jamie Purviance's books. Somewhere in them I saw where the ears, unhusked, were just placed beside the hot coals on the coal grate. The instructions were to turn and rotate them as you go.

Last night I did corn on the OTG for the first time. I put 4 ears of corn that I had stripped the driest husks from next to the 3 level heat on the grate. I put a large red onion that I had similarly deprived of its driest outer peeling. When I got ready to put the hamburgers on, I removed the corn and onion, installed the cooking grate and place the corn and onion there along with a pan of halved Roma tomatoes. The corn and onion had probably been cooking for half an hour or a little more. My fire was medium high because my chimney of coals burned up before I got everything on. I had to light a half chimney of coals because my fire was so far gone. My soda can alcohol stove took care of that in minutes - no muss no fuss.

I took everything up when the hamburger was done and it came out perfectly. I'm sure it was 'beginner's luck'.

I used to peel back husks, remove silk, tie husks back in place, soak, then grill. After reading a few threads like this, I decided to just soak and grill. After finding this thread, I just peeled off a few outer husks & ran them under a running faucet briefly before grilling indirect. I grill indirect for about 30-35 minutes, with a few minutes direct while I'm there tending other things. I've decided that the removing silks beforehand and soaking were completely unnecessary steps.

I add a little Kosher salt & cayenne pepper and a pressed garlic clove to mayo, brush that on the corn, then roll the corn in crumbled Cotija cheese. Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is somewhere between a parmesan & feta. It goes great with this combination. I've tried feta but like Cotija a LOT more. I found it at Kroger, so it isn't that hard to find. You can squeeze a lime wedge over the corn, but I prefer it without the lime.

Jeff,
I can see where you're going with this. Smiler

Actually, I liked the simplicity, and large quantity aspect of the cooler recipe. I might consider spiking the hot water with old bay.

Sometimes SV recipes can get in the way of themselves, overcomplicate things, and look like excuses to justify purchasing expensive equipment. That SV corn recipe seems to fall into the "overcomplicate" category. If one wants grill marks, grill it. There's is no way sv than grill would come out appreciably better and will most likely end up over cooked.

You know I'm s a sucker for sv, but I'm a griller at heart
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
May be crazy but I have come to find I like best done in the microwave. Just throw in it husk and all.
My wife, aka Corn Woman, has started using the microwave. Put corn, husk and all, on paper plate, cook 4 minutes on high (or 8 minutes for 2 ears), cut the end of ear off at the stalk end and squeeze out the silk-less ear of corn.

I like to wrap my corn in aluminum foil with a couple pats of butter and a pinch of salt. Grill direct over high heat for about 7-10 minutes.

It isn't grilling but an interesting story none the less. When I was in high school in the early 60's my father owned a natural gas utility and construction company. We had to melt tar to protect the pipe at the welds. On summer day we were laying pipe near a corn field and the construction workers went and got a few ears and dropped them in the hot boiling tar with the husks on. After a few minutes they pulled them out let them cool then shucked the corn. Believe it or not there wasn't any tar taste . It was actually pretty good.

i usually walk into a corn field, find a nice size cob, rip it from the stalk, tear off the husks an' silk and EET.

i'm thinkin' yo'all are takin' too much time pra'parin' this corn...

Back