"Coppa" bacon

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Before I ground up the last pork butt that I had on hand, I removed the coppa muscle (aka money muscle), and tossed it in some dry cure to make shoulder bacon. I tied it like a roast so it would stay rounded, and used the cure calculator at DiggingDog Farm (reduced the salt % to 1.8.) I let it cure in the fridge for 10 days, took it out, rinsed it thoroughly, then put it on my 26'er at ~150F for four hours, then 200F to get it up to 155F internal. I fired the kettle with a double stacked snake (four briqs at the head), and laid my cherry wood pieces on top of the snake. After four hours, I lit the tail of the snake to get things up to my finishing temp. All told, it was about a 7 hour cook. Just finished having a few slices with some scrambled eggs, and it is really tasty. Kind of like a cross between bacon and canadian bacon.....fatty, hammy, but not as tender as belly. Yum!

Trimmed up:

IMG_6604.jpeg

After four hours in the smoke:

IMG_6696.jpeg

Hit 155F to finish:

IMG_6697.jpeg

A few slices:

IMG_6700.jpeg

Breakfast!

IMG_6702.jpeg

A nice change of pace, and will tied me over until the 3400g of Canadian Bacon that I started yesterday is all cured up. :)

R

Yum! Looks tasty! Thanks for reminding me I still have some Canadian bacon in the freezer that needs to had for breakfast!

Back