Cooks Planned for Labor Day Weekend

craig hess

TVWBB Fan
I'm sure most of you guys are looking forward to the 3 day weekend and mine starts when I get out of the office in a couple of hours.

What do you have planned for your weekend cooks/parties?

I'm hosting a get together tomorrow for a full day of college football, including the Illinois-Mizzou game (not looking good for my Illini)

I've got a 7lb brisket flat, two 6 lb pork shoulders, chicken thighs and wings, abts, and plenty of beverages ready to go for tomorrow. Can't wait!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig hess:
I'm sure most of you guys are looking forward to the 3 day weekend and mine starts in a couple of hours when I get out of the office in a couple of hours.

What do you have planned for your weekend cooks/parties?

Well I have to go down to a BBQ competition in Beaufort SC I will bring back pulled pork for my wife and her sister. Sunday will probably burgers and brats????
I'm hosting a get together tomorrow for a full day of college football, including the Illinois-Mizzou game (not looking good for my Illini)

I've got a 7lb brisket flat, two 6 lb pork shoulders, chicken thighs and wings, abts, and plenty of beverages ready to go for tomorrow. Can't wait! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are having a combo Labor Day celebration and birthday party for my stepson. My wife and I have 5 kids and six grandkids. They will all be here along with 4 of the wife's siblings and 5 of their grandkids.
I have 2 butts and a brisket on the smoker right now. Gonna throw a little sausage on later. Sounds like I'm gonna have leftovers but I'd bet by the end of the weekend we have to break out the hot dogs.

UGA plays early Saturday, so taking it easy and grilling.

Sunday my uncle and I are having a rib cookoff.

I am cooking 4 racks of STLs, 16 thighs, grilled corn and whatever else people bring.

And of course, lots of beverages throughout all 3 days.

grilling some big ol ribeyes and ABTs on saturday, smoking 2 racks of spares on sunday and grilling some more big ol ribeyes monday. i also plan to smoke by sparerib scraps with heavy salt and pepper and make a big pot of collard greens monday

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">or both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon John, uuucandoooit!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Even though I have to work all weekend, I'm doing 6 half chickens ala roadside tomorrow and I'm thinking of trying smoked chilli on sunday. It's a short day for me and I have a ton of tenderloin trimmings looking for a home. Plus it will be coolish that day. I've never had chilli off the smoker but I can't see it not being good! I'm sure between tonights cook, the chicken and chilli Monday will be leftovers, lol.

If I can find the time, I'd love to try Don's (er, Jamie's) paella on Monday. We'll see. May have to "settle" for some roadside.

Two racks of loin-back ribs, minioned, BRITU rubbed and foiled with apple juice. Only difference this time is I'm going to try skewering and rolling rather than laying flat (18" WSM). With a whole gang coming the following weekend, I wanna see just how well rolled racks will smoke and visualize how many can fit on each level of the smoker.

I've been promising some people to cook for them one of these days. So Monday it is going to be brisket and ribs. Sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob on the side. Briskets will go about 12 hours and will be in the cooler while the ribs are finishing up. Can't wait.

We have a 40th Wedding Anniversary today, so I'm grillin' expensive steaks, twice baked potatoes, salad, and my special mushroom, onion, pepper, garlic sautee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
We have a 40th Wedding Anniversary today, so I'm grillin' expensive steaks, twice baked potatoes, salad, and my special mushroom, onion, pepper, garlic sautee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy Anniversary, Charles. 40 years? Way to go!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Way to go!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Jim
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig hess:
I'm sure most of you guys are looking forward to the 3 day weekend </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No 3 day weekend here...lol. Did some o.t. today and going to do some more on Monday. But Sunday I'll be throwing a flat in the WSM. Going to be using oak for the first time.

Back