Cooking Time

Brian.Leblanc

I want to double check on cooking time. The last time I did a Turkey was several years ago and I think it was a 14 pounder. This year I have 20-22lbs. Is it still 3 hours at 325-350?

Gobble gobble!

How are you cooking the bird? Whole, in pieces, spatched?

Are you deep frying, smoking, grilling, roasting or in the oven ?

Stuffed or unstuffed?

Need a lot more data to offer a detailed reply.

According to the 197x Weber in box recipe booklet
11 minutes per pound unstuffed. 13 min per stuffed.
I have never stuffed one on the kettle. I prefer my dressing not soggy from in the bird.
For twenty odd years my buddy called me every holiday to ask that very question. His in-laws have decided that they don’t care for the grilled bird so, the three. Sisters have taken over the production which I think is a little sad, I know he enjoyed doing it But, when the womenfolk ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!

Last edited:
I’m smoking a whole bird in a 22 inch wsm, unstuffed. Planning the apple brine recipe from the site. Sorry, assumed we were only talking smoking here.

According to the 197x Weber in box recipe booklet
11 minutes per pound unstuffed. 13 min per stuffed.
I have never stuffed one on the kettle. I prefer my dressing not soggy from in the bird.
For twenty odd years my buddy called me every holiday to ask that very question. His in-laws have decided that they don’t care for the grilled bird so, the three. Sisters have taken over the production which I think is a little sad, I know he enjoyed doing it But, when the womenfolk ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!
And if the menfolk ain't happy don't nobody care. Thanks for using the word dressing, uh dressin'. :D

Yes, we care, if we know. Male pride won't let us know sometimes. :love:

When a woman is unhappy, YOU KNOW!!!!!!

Ok, so I think 3.5-4 hours is a safe estimate. I have a large cooler I use when smoking pork butts and I need them to rest. We want to eat between 12:30-1:00. I should start the WSM at 7:30, put the bird on at 8:00, and I should be done between 11:30-12:00. People are coming over at 11:00. I can always rest it in the cooler with tin foil and a remote thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature.

I guess I was not clear, at KETTLE temperatures NOT WSM temps unless you’re running the thing pretty hot, which is fine. 11-13 min per lb. would be fine, if you’re going lower than that you will need to add a LOT of time.
I have never done one on the WSM, no deep seated reason behind it, just haven’t done it.
Brett, any input on this one? Bruno, Rich? (Either one of the Rich’s)

I guess I was not clear, at KETTLE temperatures NOT WSM temps unless you’re running the thing pretty hot, which is fine. 11-13 min per lb. would be fine, if you’re going lower than that you will need to add a LOT of time.
I have never done one on the WSM, no deep seated reason behind it, just haven’t done it.
Brett, any input on this one? Bruno, Rich? (Either one of the Rich’s)
My concerns are the heat of the 22 WSM. Needs a bunch of coal to get temps up to 325-350 if doing a hot bird. If doing a smoked bird, LAS, as in less than 300°, it’s going to need a lot more time on a 20-22# bird. Like maybe 5-6+ hours.

If it were my bird, I’d add in a lot of coal, and a lot of wood chunks for some smoke, and keep the heat at 325°-350° and get that bird done. Still going to be a long cook. At 325°, a 20# bird will run at least 4-5 hours.

Last edited:
I don't feel a WSM was really designed to run at 350 - They perform much better in the 220 - 270 range... Not to stay you can't get it up to 325 -350, its maintaining the temp as Brett and others have alluded to... its a lot of futzing, especially on a Holiday! In the past with bigger birds, we've started them on the WSM then after a couple of hours of smoke and they get their color, we move them to a kettle to finish them off - However, depending how big your bird actually is, it might be on the cusp of fitting in a 22" kettle - (If you happen to have a rotisserie for your kettle, you can add the ring - this jacks the lid up high enough to accommodate the bigger birds. )

Cooking time/temp estimates here:

I've cooked all my turkeys on the WSM at around 325-350*F. Many examples here, you just need to build a hot fire with all coals ashed over and no water in the pan.

Cooking time/temp estimates here:

I've cooked all my turkeys on the WSM at around 325-350*F. Many examples here, you just need to build a hot fire with all coals ashed over and no water in the pan.

And now we have the Boss’s input, go hot!

I don't feel a WSM was really designed to run at 350 - They perform much better in the 220 - 270 range... Not to stay you can't get it up to 325 -350, its maintaining the temp as Brett and others have alluded to... its a lot of futzing, especially on a Holiday! In the past with bigger birds, we've started them on the WSM then after a couple of hours of smoke and they get their color, we move them to a kettle to finish them off - However, depending how big your bird actually is, it might be on the cusp of fitting in a 22" kettle - (If you happen to have a rotisserie for your kettle, you can add the ring - this jacks the lid up high enough to accommodate the bigger birds. )
i used to do HAF briskets on my 18 WSM and the cooker can keep up and do 350F sustained, without much issue. it just ate more fuel, that's all.

For ease? Kettle, hot smoke it, much less demanding. For something to do, if everything else is someone else’s headache, whatever you feel like. I’ve done lots of 20-24 pound turkeys over the years, it is just about as set and forget as it comes.

I’ve got two chimney starters so my plan is to start with two chimneys of fully lit briquettes. I also have an aftermarket charcoal ring which will allow me to put about 50 to 70% more charcoal than the standard one. I use a FireBoard with their fan so I don’t think maintaining temperature is a problem either.

I’ve got two chimney starters so my plan is to start with two chimneys of fully lit briquettes. I also have an aftermarket charcoal ring which will allow me to put about 50 to 70% more charcoal than the standard one. I use a FireBoard with their fan so I don’t think maintaining temperature is a problem either.
you're trying to have a hot fire, not a bonfire. that seems like a lot of hot coals to start with and that assuming your lower vents will be 100% open and the top too. you could always crack open the door to allow more airflow and just add coals as the cook progresses. you can get that smoke flavor by letting the wood chunks burn up during the early part of the cook and then just move to briqs only as the cook progresses so as to no overwhelm the bird with smoke.

Two chimneys is going to be pretty hot, I’d fill the ring a little more than halfway full, with a layer of smoke wood in the middle. Then load a full chimney of lit. But, we are in new territory for me with this method.
I am interested in how this goes, if you have the time, shoot some pictures and share, I might have to try it. The thing is the kettle method with smoke wood in the baskets has been a proven winner for me, hard for me to poke the successful bear, so to speak.
I’ve always gotten plenty of smoke with four fist size chunks that “old“ method. That was my Dad‘s reason for buying a kettle when I was about ten! Mom balked until she had the first bite! She was an oven person, I made the statement that the oven is better suited for baking beautiful pies! There is more latitude for a turkey.
For years, my neighbor thought I was nuts, then I took a plate of turkey over, by summer, they had bought a kettle!

Ok, I’ll review the lighting instructions again and decide what to do. Maybe one chimney if lit coals. Estimated air temp here in mass on Thursday at 8:00 is 30 degrees.

For ease? Kettle, hot smoke it, much less demanding. For something to do, if everything else is someone else’s headache, whatever you feel like. I’ve done lots of 20-24 pound turkeys over the years, it is just about as set and forget as it comes.
Easiest method, by far.

I'm doing a 22lb spatchcocked on the wsm with my fireboard and bbq guru looking to shoot for 275 to 300... what times u guys thinking

Back