Cooking Ribs in advance and reheating

Charlie L

TVWBB Super Fan
Cooking Ribs in advance and reheating

We have a busy memorial day weekend coming up & I would love to cook some ribs for a BBQ on Monday afternoon but I won’t be home to fire up the smoker that day. The only day I have free to cook is Friday (3 days prior to event).

I have done pulled pork in advance, and reheated well, but I have never done ribs to serve for guests in advance. Is it possible to serve good quality ribs that were cooked in advance? Is three days in the fridge too long? Will they get mushy or dry out? Should i freeze for two days and then thaw and reheat?

I vacuum seal, freeze, and reheat by simmering all the time to serve myself but never for guests. The simmer in bag reheat isn’t the most appetizing view even though we all know it works well.

Any recommendations?

*Cross posting on WKC and TVWBB to get the most info from all the pros.*

Chris has some good information under cooking topics on the home page about freezing and reheating bbq.

I actually prefer my ribs the next day. I slice single boned and reheat on the gasser, it brings that pork (or bacon) taste out. IMHO. I don't know about 3 days may have to freeze until Sunday night.

For dinner last night I had a 1/3-rack of spare ribs that I cooked last September. After cooking & cooling 4 racks, I split them into 1/3 racks, wrapped tightly in foil then vacuum sealed each individually for later use. To reheat, I cut the vacuum bag, remove the foil and re-wrap (loosely) in new stuff, then into a 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes. Then I unwrap, maybe apply sauce and pop under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes. They come out nearly as good as the day they were cooked. I do intentionally leave them just a tad underdone when I plan to reheat later.

In your case, I think you could cook them to just about done, chill 'em for a few days (in the coldest part of the fridge), then reheat/finish in the oven or over high-heat (charcoal or gasser).

For dinner last night I had a 1/3-rack of spare ribs that I cooked last September. After cooking & cooling 4 racks, I split them into 1/3 racks, wrapped tightly in foil then vacuum sealed each individually for later use. To reheat, I cut the vacuum bag, remove the foil and re-wrap (loosely) in new stuff, then into a 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes. Then I unwrap, maybe apply sauce and pop under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes. They come out nearly as good as the day they were cooked. I do intentionally leave them just a tad underdone when I plan to reheat later.

In your case, I think you could cook them to just about done, chill 'em for a few days (in the coldest part of the fridge), then reheat/finish in the oven or over high-heat (charcoal or gasser).

I've done it this way too. just added the sauce while reheating them. oven works fine. I've even done it in a toaster oven on some aluminum foil and it's turned out great.

Back