Cook Time

Zach Paukert

Smoking a 18 LB Brisket. I was planning on 18 hours @ 225 with central Texas Wrap @ 155 -160 temp. Have to use Traeger Pellets ;-( as there are no Weber ones around. (other choice is Pit Boss). Is that timing about right? (Starting it at 5-6 PM to eat the next day at 6)

Smoking a 18 LB Brisket. I was planning on 18 hours @ 225 with central Texas Wrap @ 155 -160 temp. Have to use Traeger Pellets ;-( as there are no Weber ones around. (other choice is Pit Boss). Is that timing about right? (Starting it at 5-6 PM to eat the next day at 6)
Okay so you're gonna cook it all night starting 6 PM, you figure it'll be done 18 hours later around noon, and you'll hold it or rest it until supper time, right? Sounds good to me.

Good luck.

Gonna do about an 11 lb boneless rib roast in my MM pellet popper. Cook to about 120, wrap with butcher paper and foil, put in cooler. Blast it to finish on dad's Genesis using rotisserie. YUM!

Your plan sounds great, just as Mark and Lew have confirmed. I would only ask if you have a plan to hold it if that becomes necessary and also based on my personal experience with my SmokeFire if I relied on the controller as my guide for the cooking temp I would be off by a wide enough margin that it would impact the total cook time. My actual pit temp is lower--sometimes significantly lower--than what the SF reports. Cooking at 200 vs 225 could impact timing a great deal.

Enjoy!

Nothing wrong with Pit Boss pellets. I prefer them to Traeger's and would use them even if they weren't half the cost.

I am beginning to second thought my plan to use the rotisserie at my dad's. I will be taking a nicely smoke cooked roast which only needs a high heat session to finish and poking a hole through it. Now I am having second thoughts on this and wondering if I should simply cook it on the grates? Thoughts?

I am beginning to second thought my plan to use the rotisserie at my dad's. I will be taking a nicely smoke cooked roast which only needs a high heat session to finish and poking a hole through it. Now I am having second thoughts on this and wondering if I should simply cook it on the grates? Thoughts?
I don’t see a good reason to stick it and spin it just to sear since it will already be slow smoked. I think the cooler rest will give it time rest and tenderize. Please let us know how it goes.

OK emergency cook time question/opinion Just put my 10lb roast on about 20 min ago (0610). I am in P3 so running about 190. I want to bring the roast to 120-125 internal prior to wrapping and resting in cooler. Thinking I should rase the grill temps to 250? I have to pull it no later than 1230

OK emergency cook time question/opinion Just put my 10lb roast on about 20 min ago (0610). I am in P3 so running about 190. I want to bring the roast to 120-125 internal prior to wrapping and resting in cooler. Thinking I should rase the grill temps to 250? I have to pull it no later than 1230
My wife: WHEN IS THE MEAT GONNA BE READY???

What I like to do in this situation is set a timer for something - say 15 mins. Every 15 mins, write down the IT. After an hour or so, you can use simple math (algebra) to estimate how many minutes you have left to reach your goal. Adjust cooker temp as the day progresses as needed.

Whatever answer you get, you should add some time to the estimate since the rising temp will slow down a bit towards the end.

Good luck.

I don't know the right answer but I do suggest that whatever temp you settle on you verify your pit is actually running at that temp rather than assuming the controller is reporting the correct, actual temp. I know my SF is off by a considerable delta; the Bull is more accurate.

This is just speculation but given your window of time 250f seems a little hot. Good luck!

I am running it at 235, roast is now at 0800 at about 90 deg internal at the thickest point. Gonna check it soon with a better thermometer. But, I think I may be "on track" been a frantic morning. Cooking shrooms in the Genesis, roast on the pellet popper, finally just wolfed down some breakfast.

Temps now seem to be coming up faster than I thought it would. Avg 100 deg right now. Just set it "down" to P3 smoke setting so should run the grill about 160 or so. If I can pull and wrap it between 1130 and noon I'll be pleased. Gives the grill time to go through it's shut down cycle so I can safely pull it back in the garage and wrap it

Well as promised here are the results of yesterday's rib roast adventure. As described things went just a touch faster than I expected. I had put the meat on grill at 06:15 thinking I was looking at a solid hour per lb. So rather than trust "smoke" setting which can only run (depending on my "P" setting, from 160 avg to 190 avg temps (depending on P1, P2, or P3). So, I elected to run the temps up a little at about 730 or so. Running about 230F. Meanwhile my special shrooms were on the Genesis. I likely could have fit them on the pellet popper but I really did not want smoke on them as well as the meat. In any case the meat started to come up quicker than I expected so I ran it down to P3 (I don't understand the logic of P3 being cooler than P1 but I guess it's a Chinese thing). Temps still hit target of 130 avg a little quicker than I expected them to. So meat was pulled, wrapped in butcher wrap and 3 layers of foil. Then bubble wrap on top of that, towels and finally into my Omaha Steaks cooler (at least something from them was "good"). It sat in the cooler until about 230 maybe 3. Meanwhile I had fired up my dad's grill for indirect outer burners med and center off (here BTW is another reason the EW Genesis is better). The meat would not have fit on a NS Genesis or Spirit. Anyway I had the grill quite hot but indirect (hood thermo up about 400-450). Put the meat in the center for about 15 min with multiple "rotations" to get an overall crust. It was pulled and set on the cutting board for slicing. Well the knife literally fell though the meat. It was AMAZING to say the least. Honestly the best rib roast I have ever tasted let alone made. Bottom line IDK if it was the pellet grill, the technique, the "rest" it had or what. BTW while meat was pulled at 130 avg, I checked it just prior to putting it on the Genesis and it was still holding 125. My "swaddling" did it well :D And photos.

20230409_071341 1.jpgIMG_20230409_070902_01.jpgIMG_20230409_071259_01 1.jpgIMG_20230409_202957.jpg

Sounds like a great cook Larry, nicely done. Fired up my camp chef for the first time this year and smoked some bacon. Was a balmy 80 degrees, really nice out.

That is something I really want to try doing. Nothing fancy (no herbs, spices weird flavors). Just straight up bacon. If you have a good "how to" for that you've tried successfully please forward along

Back