Converting from briquets to lump charcoal questions

Bob LeFever

TVWBB Member
I am thinking seriously of using strictly lump charcoal in my new WSM. I have never used it before, so I would appreciate any comments on how to make the switch (what to look for, how much lump, etc).
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've done just one smoke and the briquets seem to have done well. Guess my "need" for converting is based more on curiosity than need.

There are some upsides to lump. For one, THE COOKER WILL RESPOND QUICKER TO VENT CHANGES. Why? I have no idea. I just no it's true, and almost totally killing the fire in my kettles before grilling some chicken over lump reminded me of this just last week. Little ash to smother the coals as well, so that's a good thing.

Of course, lump seems to burn quicker too, and that's why you have to really pack the pieces in tight and heap it up good. If you have an 18.5", you'll be able to heap up a bigger pile of lump and still have room for wood with the Brinkman pan. However, you'll still often have to refuel for long cooks with lots of meat, windy weather, or if using water in the pan. It's not a big problem, though. The "hot squat" is perfectly doable on the 18.5", and the 22.5" has a big door.

Another downside is cost, though. Kingsford in the blue bag is cheap, particularly when it's a loss leader at Home Depot or Lowes. As for which lumps are good, "wicked Good" and Humprey's are popular. B and B oak lump is pretty good and sold at Academy Sports... Royal Oak lump in the red bag from Walmart is just fine, and relatively cheap. The good thing about lump is that you can tell what you're getting when you open the bag; not so with briquettes. Good luck with it. If you want to stray off the beaten path, you might as well light with a torch as well. It's far superior and more efficient than a chimney and you'll get longer burns since you're heating up the whole pile at once and not wasting btu's. Water in the pan is a very good heat sink and helps maintain even temps for more predictable time frames to cooks.

Thanks for the tips Dave. Hadn't thought about igniting the lump. Just figured I would use the MM, but it probably wouldn't work as well?? Also, for those of you in the south, www.nakedwhiz.com gives a very high rating to the Publix brand (GreenWise Wood Charcoal) of lump.

The Minion method is simply lighting the top of the charcoal and then loading meat instead of waiting for all briqs to be ashed over, whether you start some briquettes in a chimney or use a propane torch (weedburner). I've done it both ways and much prefer the torch because it's faster, more efficient, and I can have all my charcoal in place with no rearranging, piled as high as my pan will allow for long cooks. Just light the middle area and put the wood chunks on around that. Here's the torch I've been using for a few years:

http://www.harborfreight.com/p...n-igniter-91037.html

Thanks for the info regarding the Publix lump. If I ever see it on sale when I'm in there I'll pick some up.

The torch seems like a good idea, but I don't have a standard-size propane tank. Just the small one that fits on my Performer.

...thinking seriously of using strictly lump charcoal ...
I've done just one smoke and the briquets seem to have done well. Guess my "need" for converting is based more on curiosity than need.
Then buy a bag of lump and check it out...
why on Earth would you "seriously" consider "using strictly lump..." IF "briquets seem to have done well"...?
Sorry, but this makes no sense to me whatsoever.
icon_confused.gif

I prefer lump as there is less ash than briquets. Can be a PIA to stack though, especially if you are using a stoker type device.

Bob,

Don't let anyone lead you wrong! Lump is a great fuel, quality lump anyway. As long as you pack it in the ring somewhat tightly it works great! You can minion it with lump or briqs, you don't need a torch to start it. It only burns faster/ hotter if you let it, ie: more air. Don't let it get up to temp before you choke the vents down, catch it 50 deg before your target and close the vents 10% or so more than you would with briqs.

Thanks Glenn,
At first I was somewhat upset, confused and even more upset. I'm over that considering the tone of the post. We all have bad days. My motto is "Lo and Slow", and for that I don't feel I need a blowtorch (or whatever it's called). Thanks again!

Originally posted by Glenn W:
Bob,

Don't let anyone lead you wrong! Lump is a great fuel, quality lump anyway. As long as you pack it in the ring somewhat tightly it works great! You can minion it with lump or briqs, you don't need a torch to start it.

Glenn, who was leading Bob "wrong"?

...and I didn't say he that he would "need" a torch. It was just a "better tool" suggestion, like using the Brinkman pan instead of the '09 water pan. I thought all guys were about better tools.
icon_confused.gif

Nobody was actually "leading me wrong". I can think for myself, given options. It was just the tone of one of the replies that I felt was not necessary. All is well, but many thanks for caring!
icon_smile.gif

Dave,

My response didn't have much to do with your post. I actually have a torch as well. A lot of folks are only briq or lump fans, I use both depending on my mood and time!

We have all been there on the lump or briq deal and I like mostly lump but understand that each requires a different approach.

Some may say if your getting good results with one......why change, I say until you try other methods you will never know! Just like water vs no water from those who have never done both enough to actually know the diff!

Originally posted by Bob LeFever:
Nobody was actually "leading me wrong". I can think for myself, given options. It was just the tone of one of the replies that I felt was not necessary. All is well, but many thanks for caring!
icon_smile.gif

Bob,

I have asked many, many questions in the past.........use the answers to build on your own with test to prove or disprove.

Hope you enjoy your trials as much as I did/do!

Glenn and Bob, it's cool.

Yeah, I can appreciate "trying different things"...That's what my wife get on me about. "You never cook ribs the same way!" lol..but yeah, I use water, clay, nothing but foil, stubbs, Kbb, lump, etc....I find that most things have their upside and their downside, but details can really matter like packing that lump tight and high for longer burns.

Back