Considering a 2nd WSM even though I JUST picked up a used 22.5" model yesterday.

Steve-Calgary

So here is the scenario:

I've been lurking for years and contemplating buying a WSM. Locally there were two listings, a 22" and an 18" model for $330 and $325 CAD respectively. I bought the 22.5" model (built-in 2013) and discovered afterward that the cooker is in 8.5/10 condition. It had faulty thermometer but surprisingly weber warranty said they'd send me a new one at no charge b/c I have a gazillion other weber products. The cover for the 22.5" model is ratty and cracked and basically in need of replacement soon. Much to my amazement the cooker barely had any corrosion to speak of in the firebowl despite it being stored outside in our harsh Canadian winters. My cooker came with a preinstalled door gasket and was also given a small bag of wood for smoking. It needs new leg bolts b/c the lower bolts are all loose and rusted to hell but that is an easy fix.

The other model is an 18.5" model built post 2014 (it has the temperature sensing passthrough hole) with a silicone grommet. It has a tool holder hanger, a River Country RC T2 gauge (new and not yet installed), a new unused secondary charcoal grate (to make the grate holes smaller) and the door + lid have a gasket kit from BBQ Gaskets.com installed. Seller claims he used it just 3 times and is selling b/c he's moving. It looks brand new in the photos and I'm tempted to buy this one too so I can test drive both models and keep the one I use more. Brand new the 18.5 is $461 CAD after taxes + the gasket kit, thermometer, tool hanger, and extra charcoal grate are worth roughly another $100 or so when purchased new adding to the total cost the owner would've spent on his setup to around $560 CAD new.

I'm very wet behind the ears when it comes to smoking... I've tried to do my own version of smoking using my weber 22.5" kettle grill and have done many turkeys and roasts in it while the meat was in a roasting pan all with reasonably good success. We do occasionally cook for large groups but those happen maybe 2-3x a year at most where I cook a large 20+ lb turkey. Never done brisket or cooked pork picnic ever but would like to.

I'm rethinking my decision on the 22" model b/c of the huge amounts of fuel it consumes and the potential difficulty controlling the temperatures vs. the smaller units. I am thinking of maybe snapping up that like new 18.5" model with all the fixings and bringing it home to make the decision then and either keep both units or sell the one that I don't use as much. Good condition WSMs don't come up often for sale and the 22" is a rare one that I've only ever seen pop up for sale every few years and often they're beaten up and not worth buying used. My recent buy was a bit of a shocker and I didn't have time to debate on whether it was worth it or not. Just get and worry later.

Anyone here run into the same dilemma? I'm not really sure which unit is best and while some could argue that I could just use the 22" for now and then decide later if I get enough use out of it that I'd ask now and trade up my unit now before it gets all dirtied up. If I resell my 22" now I'm sure I won't lose a dime on it since its in BETTER shape after I cleaned it. It nearly looks like I just unboxed it. There are TONS of threads that are similar to mine but the issue here is do I buy this 18.5" today since it is a lightly used unit at what I THINK is an okay price. Anyone here own both sized units that are fairly "light users"? Should I be content with my original decision to buy the 22.5" WSM and forget about even looking at the newer but smaller smoker? I figured for the days I don't want to go all out smoking meats in the WSM that I can continue to use my 22.5" kettle grill to achieve similar results for smaller cooks.

Some feedback would be appreciated.
Many thanks!

you've clearly identified the ownership of both, that the 22 will burn more coal over time and the 18.5 less. but it begets the question, how often are you smoking that coal consumption is an issue AND would you really prefer to have the option of larger cooks owning a 22.

i owned a 18.5 for a few years and it served me well. the largest cook i did were 18# briskets, which once trimmed were more like 15# briskets. i had to use two baseball sized wood chunks to "dome" the brisket so it'd fit inside the 18.5 and not puddle up fat as it rendered. overall, i never had any negative issues with the 18.5 and we could entertain and serve 12-14 people fairly easily on the 18.5.

i was in your situation prior to buying the 18.5; would the 18.5 be big enough? it was for our needs so i elected to only buy the 18.5 WSM.

now fast forward to this June when i sold my 18.5 and bought the Kamado E6, a 24" grill/smoker. i absolutely love the 24" of space. i can cook 4 St. Louis sized racks on the 24" E6 without much issue. on my 18.5 i had to use rib racks and cook the ribs on their side. no huge issue but the 24" E6 was just easier. and the E6 is a miser on coal due to being insulated.

if you're willing to own both and sell one because you only need one, then get the 18.5, do a few cooks and see which one you like best. you'll likely break even on on either unit, meaning the one you sell, so your financial risk is low, IMO.

good luck and stay warm. it's approaching pants weather here in California.

I ran into the same issue, so I got both. I use them both quite often too. Mostly use the 22 for HAF briskets and turkeys, and the 18 for pork butts. Lots of other things cooked on each of course, but that is the main purposes. I'm not sure that I could pick if I had to get rid of one. If you can, get both. You can always sell that one that you don't use as much, assuming that they sell up there as quick as here. Your prices up north are high though, as I paid $200 for my 22, got it with a bag of wood and two bags of charcoal, and a IQ110 ATC, and the 18 was a clearance at Lowes, brand new for $179. Usually around here, on average the 18s go for $200 or so, and the 22s for $200-$250. Good luck with whichever, (or both) that you choose.

Charlie

I have the E6 and the WSM 22. It does use more fuel, but I found it real easy to control temperatures. After buying the E6, I kept the 22. I use it for big smokes, I do 3 of 4 per year.

I also have both. The 18.5 has served me well since 08 and the 22.5 fell into my lap around 012.
The big boy was bought just for laying racks of ribs and for large packers.
As far as fuel usage the big guy is a hog so it's easier to cook more on the 18.5 then less on the 22.5.

I suspected that I’d get the responses posted here. I have to admit we’re not huge meat eaters and in fact are paring back on how much meat we’re eating. That isn’t to say I wouldn’t smoke a bunch of it to freeze and eat later. I am going to look at the 18.5 model soon and may end up bringing it home. Winter is approaching and I doubt smokers will be in high demand. The owner refuses to budge on his price as I feel that $250 is more palatable for me to justify another cooker when I haven’t even used the one I just bought yet. I love Weber grills. I have so many different models of gas coolers and kettle grills but never owned a WSM until now. I even though if skipping the 18.5 and going with the tiny 14.5 when I only need to cook for our family of four. Given the level of effort needed to setup and smoke for as log as I’d have to that I figured go big or go home hence the 22.5”. It’s tough to say. It having really smoked huge pieces of meat before that I honestly don’t even know what my capabilities or needs really are.

well I came back from the place where this 18.5 was for sale.... turns out it is a 2021 model and it is in like-new condition. Owner wasn't kidding when he said he's only used it 3 times...He is dead set on $325. The summarize:
1. Its a 2021 WSM 18.5"
2. It has the FULL gasket kit from bbqgaskets.com so the fire bowl, door AND top lid have a nice quality gasket installed on it.
3. Comes with a new in box River Country 2" high accuracy thermometer that hasn't been installed yet
4. Brand new 2nd charcoal grate still in packaging (he intended to mesh the existing grate to prevent coals from falling through).
5. Weber tool holder hook

Suffice to say it was indeed pretty to look at and I have a true appreciation for something new and shiny... I left the place empty handed b/c my wife said how much charcoal will we really save compared to our monster 22.5" smoker? It sounds like some of you folks have BOTH units.

First world problems I tell you....

Sounds like you "need" all three sizes 😉
OMG YES if I had the finances and more importantly the space I would. I've read that if you're going the 14.5" route that you're probably better off using a weber kettle grill (which I also own) to achieve similar results.

OMG YES if I had the finances and more importantly the space I would. I've read that if you're going the 14.5" route that you're probably better off using a weber kettle grill (which I also own) to achieve similar results.
I was just being snarky.

I don't own any WSMs yet I've come close a couple of times.

If I had a 22, I'd try some cooks with it before I considered an 18. I've been watching for a 22 at a bargain price, yet haven't seen one, and don't really need one.

I was just being snarky.

I don't own any WSMs yet I've come close a couple of times.

If I had a 22, I'd try some cooks with it before I considered an 18. I've been watching for a 22 at a bargain price, yet haven't seen one, and don't really need one.
I think what attracts me about the 18.5 is the fact it is pretty much a brand new unit that was purchased in 2021 and comes with some handy extras. I can find a wsm 18.5” throughout the year for around $250-300 used but rarely are they brand new. I guess the savings are just “ok” with the 18” model since new they’re $439. Wife says to stick with the 22” since it is easier to cook with more room than too little.

Dan I think we live about 10 minutes apart, I have a 22 I should get rid of, I have an extra brand new door, thermometer, water bowl, maybe dome lid, can’t remember that one. Let me know if you’re interested, I’d make you a great deal.
Hey Bruno. I think its more like 2 hours. I'm 30 mins east of Sacramento.

I'm "tempted"...

My main complaint right now is no good way to cook pork ribs.

The pellet does ribs "ok" but not amazing. Next cook I'll try more moisture and smoke tubes.

The large BGE is a pain to do more than one full slab. Two or more have to be cooked on edge.

Last edited:

I'm "tempted"...

The pellet does ribs "ok" but not amazing. Next cook I'll try more moisture and smoke tubes.

The large BGE is a pain and anything more than one full slab I have to do on edge.
Huh, I thought you were in San Mateo for some reason.

I have the 14.5" and a weber kettle. I started smoking with the kettle and once I got hooked I got the wsm. I've found the wsm is better in every way. I only have a family of 3 so the 14.5" is sufficient.

This past weekend I cooked two small pork butts (5 lbs each) and it ran steady for 8+ hours with minimal adjustments. I had to a lot more fiddling with the kettle.

I'm "tempted"...

The large BGE is a pain to do more than one full slab. Two or more have to be cooked on edge.
Mmmm, ribs.

1634006273504.jpeg

Back