CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! 20,000th MEMBER

Murphy's Law has been causing havoc with us the past couple years. I don't think I've fired up the grills in over a year or more. Hoping desperately that things will change for us personally and for everyone in regards to the current situation worldwide. I may not have posted for a while but like others I'm here every day! Thanks Chris for allowing me to stick around!
Mike, you've taken the first step! Hope things have or are calming down for you, and you can rekindle your friendship with your grills! :)

Murphy's Law has been causing havoc with us the past couple years. I don't think I've fired up the grills in over a year or more. Hoping desperately that things will change for us personally and for everyone in regards to the current situation worldwide. I may not have posted for a while but like others I'm here every day! Thanks Chris for allowing me to stick around!
Great to see your post Mike, hope things gets better and all goes well for you

Not to be a buzz kill but.....Since so many of us love this site, and spend so (too) much time here, I was wondering if there was a succession plan in place if something ever happened to our fearless smokey leader? Just kinda curious.
Hoping you stay safe and happy for a long time to come!

Joe, it is a very sad thing to even think about, but, Chris, do you have anything to say on that subject?

Thanks everyone, but the member number is like an odometer that rolls forward when people join and rolls backwards when I prune inactive member accounts. I have not done much pruning since 2012, but I used to do it extensively before that year because I was charged each month, in part, based on the number of members. There's a percentage of people who join but never post, and if they've not visited for a year or more, I used to delete those accounts in order to save money but also to make available their usernames so that new Tom's, Dick's, Harry's, and Joan's could join and use their actual name. As a result, the member number goes down after pruning. I pruned thousands of accounts between 2000 and 2012, so who knows what the real member number would be had I not done that.
Glad you didn't do much pruning, otherwise I would have been pruned away :cool:

Not to be a buzz kill but.....
There is no succession plan. If I were to kick it tomorrow, the disposition of the forum would be up to my wife, and we've not discussed what she should do in that instance.

My hope is that someday it will become clear to me that it's time to have an orderly transition of the forum to another Weber fan that will carry the torch forward. Having said that, I have also wondered if before that someday comes, will forums go completely out of fashion and the only decision is how to keep an archival version online as a reference?

There is no succession plan. If I were to kick it tomorrow, the disposition of the forum would be up to my wife, and we've not discussed what she should do in that instance.

My hope is that someday it will become clear to me that it's time to have an orderly transition of the forum to another Weber fan that will carry the torch forward. Having said that, I have also wondered if before that someday comes, will forums go completely out of fashion and the only decision is how to keep an archival version online as a reference?
I really don't see forums going out of fashion as they evolve quite slowly. For those of us ancient enough to remember dial up BBS to CompuServe, to now, not much has really changed. Hopefully nothing happens, but do hope she knows where the contacts, site addresses, and secret passwords are;-)
I lived on a boat and had all my info on a laptop. I was paranoid of it loosing it or it being stolen so I encrypted it. I came down with diverticulosis and my colon ruptured. I wound up in a coma for 3 weeks and the hospital for 3 months. My wife and son could not get to our bank accounts and insurance info and the hospital was ready to put me out. Even after I came out of the coma I could not remember the password for weeks. My wife and I now have Lastpass and each others master passwords.

Back