Comparison of Genesis grill families

JPeters

This has probably been asked many times, but I’m not willing to wade through hundreds of search results.

I’m nearing completion of a restoration of a genesis platinum c (1995 model, 13 bars). The wife is not ok with the size of it unfortunately.

I’ve got my eye on a 2008? S-320/S-330 as it looks a bit bigger, and still has E-W burners, which I have never used, but seem to be a great concept esp for rotisserie. Am I right in thinking this is before Weber quality diminished and the firebox is still heavy enough aluminum? I’d like this grill to last a long time.

Performance wise, what’s the favourite series? Can the newer grills really offer any improvements? Lots of guys around here say the earliest grills still can’t really be beat. Why is that? Aside from abundance of restoration parts.

Older grills are simpler and less prone to rust and other problems the newer cabinet style grills experience. Also, the E/W burner are preferred due to indirect cooking performance, particularly with a rotisserie. If you get an S or E 3xx grill, check out the inside of the cabinet very closely (mostly the bottom panel but lower sides as well). They tend to rust out quick and being up north, you will probably see more than most. If you find one in good shape, then I think you will have a well performing grill, on par with the older Silver/Gold/Platinum B/C and Genesis 1000-5000 series.

Oh, and I don't think ( I could be wrong) but I dont think the Genesis Platinum came out until some time after 2000 and I think they used the 5 bar design. You likely have a Genesis 3000-5000 grill if it is 1995 and 13 bars.

Thanks Bruce. It’s a model 330000, so yes I think a 4000. The lid is green and says “Platinum series”

Keep what you’ve got and find another one just like it to add to it.

For the grill area real estate

The newer cabinet style grills are not really any bigger. You need to start the size doesn't matter discussion with your wife :) Anyway the newer version is SLIGHTLY larger front to back but not side to side. I think MAYBE an inch or so. Whether that turns into more usable is debatable. I think not especially since on an EW burner grill side to side means more than front to back for USABLE space.
If she really wants bigger a second grill is a better way to go. Example to give you perspective. My Wolf is as large front to back as my Genesis is wide and can fit nearly another half a Genesis width wise. Truth be told I use the Genesis 5 cooks to 1 as I don't need all that real estate to say cook a few breakfast sausages or burgers what have you. Though for some things I will say the extra real estate is invaluable.

Do you need the extra space all the time or just once a while?
The larger the grill the more volume you have to heat and the more propane or NG you use. Meaning if you don't really need the space all the time the larger grills are not very efficient.
I also don't need a lot of grilling space very often. Most of the time the Genesis Platinum I have is more than enough. If we have guests I may just fire up one of the kettles as well. And when I am just grilling for 1 or 2 I often just use the Q1200.
I prefer having more smaller grills than one large grill. In addition it gives me more options. I use the gas grill when I don't have a lot of time to fire up coal. I also use it for the rotisserie, veggies, fish, .. For steaks I prefer the kettle and the vortex to sear them. For Pizza I also prefer the kettle with a pizza stone. And I also have a wok I like to use on the kettle. With a variety of smaller and different grills I am way more flexible than with one large grill. For anywhere from $10 to $50 you can find a good decent kettle which gives you extra grilling space when you need it and which offers you some other options of grilling.

I have a gen 1000 and a gen 2000, a gen 2 all of which the same size firebox. I also have a E320 with E/W burners the grates are a little bit bigger than the other three but not by much. The E320 is a little bit taller which is nice and it has the cabinet for storage which I like. Living in Arizona where rust isn't allowed my 10 year old E320 is in mint condition, but humid climates are a concern with these grills.
If you wanted to stick with Weber than a summit might be what you want but they are notorious for rust problems.

I'm thinking that Wifey might just like the overall size / aesthetics of a closed cabinet 300 series.

Bruce nailed all the issues with it. The upper part of the grill is just as rock solid as it's predecessors. The lower cabinet is what can be a problem. If you find one that doesn't have any rust, or very light rust that can readily be addressed, they are nice grills to have. If you do find one, I'd take steps to try and prevent it from rusting. Clear coat it (the lower cabinet) both under the grill and inside the cabinet. might even want to shoot some Eastwood up into the frame. Sounds like a lot, but it's maybe $20 or $30 worth of product that will save a ton down the road.

DaveW,
Good advice on that. I think you CAN get a long life out of a 300 series Genesis if you are willing to go the extra mile with the steps you described being the ideal way. If ignored in a wet climate where it is stored outside it will turn to rust pretty fast. Even worse are ones I have seen here in Florida that were regularly doused by a sprinkler system.:p

Back