College football day ribs

Brad Chilton

TVWBB Fan
So After trying diff versions of 3-2-1 , 5-6 hour low an slow ... No foil... Just haven't been quite satisfied with my cooks on the wsm the past year... Yea they were good, but just never the right profile I was looking for .... 3-2-1 was fall off the bone tender,and which most my friends loved .. But I was never happy with the the the texture of the meat and lack of char or crust on the outside ..nor the amount of sauce slathered on .... The 5-6 hour low an slow just seemed a little to dry no matter how much I spritzed ....so I went back to the way I used to cook on my kettle ..... Put 2. Racks of ribs with a salt ,pepper garlic,and cummin rub on the smoke at 275 on lump mesquite with a little kings comp ... The temps drifted to 300-325 most of the cook which took 3 hours ...At 1-1/2 hours in I started stacking and rotating the position every 15-20 min until I pulled them .. No need for spritzing as they were self basting... No pics of fancy plates nor sides ...they were cut and eaten as soon as I was done cutting .... Ribs ...No Fannn-cy Forks needed....just napkins !!
null_zps7cb547de.jpg

null_zps720067b0.jpg

Brad they look fabulous, congrats on a nice cook. And no need to worry about what method you use. Part of this site is to learn from each other and put together a system that works for you. I am stil looking for my preferred method with some things and have some others locked in that work very well for me. Tommorow I am trying Bob Samples version of a high heat cook as I have not tried that yet. Who knows, Mr. Sample may have my go to cook for brisket. that is why I am here.

That's the beauty about these methods, there is more than one way to cook. Everyone has different tastes and ideas so you try until you find one that works for you.

Brad;
You have perfectly illustrated what I think was one of my most important lessons. I grilled for years before I discovered this forum (thanks to my oldest son). After discovery, my ability has climbed to heights I never imagined (and I have a LONG way to go before anyone mistakes me for a BBQ Master).

Taking ribs as an example - my first efforts were quite good. However, they were seasoned a bit too hot for my wife and friends (I still think they were VERY good:eek:). So, I kept experimenting until I found what pleased me AND my guests. I am still learning to modify the seasoning AT THE TABLE (and at the smoker) so that EVERYONE is happy. It's getting there and that's what makes this so much fun and so challenging. When you get to the place that you can call the shots regarding taste and tenderness (gee, sounds like competition, doesn't it:rolleyes:) a person feels just a bit taller than he/she did before. Well, the truth is, we are competing with OURSELVES every time we cook. Sometimes I hit a home run and occasionally, I strike out - but I am STILL in the game (to use baseball terminology:rolleyes:).

Brad, it looks like you are doing GOOD, my friend!

Happy smokin':wsm:.

Dale53

Back