Cold Weather Be D@mned

Gary Zath

I just couldn't stands it no more!

I've been watching that Pitmasters reality show (yes, it's kind of lame but I keep an eye and ear open for any little tip or trick) and have been just chomping at the bit to fire up the WSM18 for some smokey goodness. Being in Northern Ohio it's been cold and snowy lately.

Well, this past weekend the temp was in the high 20's/low 30's and the snow melted a bit from the patio so it was a run up to the Giant Eagle for a 7# bone-in butt (hey, they were on sale, too). Trimmed the excess fat and applied an experimental Cincinnati Chili spice rub and injection.

Full charcoal ring, 40 coal Minion starter, 3 chunks of Hickory and full water pan. Despite the cold the cook temp settled in at around 240 - 250 ... even with the lower vents mostly closed. 7 hour smoke with a 2.5 hour stall at 265 and then a loose foil covered rest for about an hour.

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Yes, I picked at it a bit ... couldn't wait.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

Ready for yum with some Fat Johny's Bastard sauce and cole slaw.

Nice work Gary, looks GREAT!
butt... cold in northern Ohio?
icon_biggrin.gif
C'mon man... how cold can it get down there that'll it'll keep you from smokin'?
I've done butts and ribs in +2'F and windchills at -20'F... the only problem I've run into is when I opened my bottle of Miller High Life, it froze up instantly!!
icon_mad.gif

Hey Jim. If you have a Smokey Joe, fire it up along with the smoke. Then set your beer on the lid. Stays liquid way down below zero.

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:
Hey Jim. If you have a Smokey Joe, fire it up along with the smoke. Then set your beer on the lid. Stays liquid way down below zero. Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
lemme tell you sumpin' Dan,
icon_biggrin.gif
many many many years ago when i yousta ice fish, we did that with our old Weber kettle on the lake. We'd bring big olfat lamb chops an grillem up and bring along a case of room-temperature Miller's an open um and drink em butt when they'd start freezin on us, then we'd set em on top of the ol Weber kettle. Ya know, this was way before people invented ice shantys and wind blocks... we'd just sit out there on buckets freezin' our petunias an suckin down barley pops.
icon_biggrin.gif

Still do that on the ice up here on Petenwell. Beer on grills that is. We now have our portable shacks and pickups if ice is thick enough (which it is now for sure).

Back