Cochinita in the WSM

Daniel Cárdenas

Hi everyone, want to share with you guys my last night dinner, i wanted to make cochinita since i bought the WSM, now i have some days off the work and finally have the time to do it. Here we go.

First, the pork was dry brine and let it all night in the fridge with the traditional marinade (recado rojo), this is how it looks the next morning

c5.jpg

Started firing the baby

c4.jpg

First the meat by their own, about two hours with two apple chunks

c7.jpg
c9.jpg

Then into the aluminum pan with the banana leaves, bottom and top, add the rest of the recado rojo that was left, about 1 litter of watter ( maybe a ittle less), covered the top with the banana leaves and foiled up with aluminum. then back in the cooker.

c10.jpg

c11.jpg

Then an hour passed, gave it a quick chek, a second one and a third one, and the hours continue to pass, until the... i think it was the 6th hour mark and gave it another check, still some part not tender enough, give it some more, anyways if i remember well, were in total some 7 hours of cook, very pleased with the result, very tender and juicy.

c12.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

i would love to take more pics of it, but to be honest everyone were hungry me included so we rush to it, here i just take a pic of a taco

c13.jpg

The rib part were the best of course, everyone fight for them :LOL:

Well hope you like it, have a good day/night you all. Saludos from México.

That looks fantastic, Daniel! Any chance you want to share your recado rojo recipe? I'd love to give this a try as a different take on the traditional pork butt!

Thanks!

Rich

That looks fantastic, Daniel! Any chance you want to share your recado rojo recipe? I'd love to give this a try as a different take on the traditional pork butt!

Thanks!

Rich
Of course i can give you the recipe of the recado rojo, more than a recipe it could be a talk about it because it is a traditional preparation in the south of the country, and like many other preparations in Mexican food it could be different from place to place, even from family to family, so really in my point of view their is no wrong way or an only way of do it, but i will make a post about it.

Talking about the pork butt, at least here in the north of the country the pork butt it is called "espaldilla", i dont know if is named the same in the yucatan peninsula (where the cochinita traditionaly comes from), but actually there they use practically the entire pig, so in this cooking i used ribs, the pork shoulder and pork leg (pierna) i wanted to use loin too but it has become more expensive these days so i skip it this time.

Hi everyone, want to share with you guys my last night dinner, i wanted to make cochinita since i bought the WSM, now i have some days off the work and finally have the time to do it. Here we go.

First, the pork was dry brine and let it all night in the fridge with the traditional marinade (recado rojo), this is how it looks the next morning

View attachment 46535

Started firing the baby

View attachment 46536

First the meat by their own, about two hours with two apple chunks

View attachment 46537
View attachment 46538

Then into the aluminum pan with the banana leaves, bottom and top, add the rest of the recado rojo that was left, about 1 litter of watter ( maybe a ittle less), covered the top with the banana leaves and foiled up with aluminum. then back in the cooker.

View attachment 46539

View attachment 46541

Then an hour passed, gave it a quick chek, a second one and a third one, and the hours continue to pass, until the... i think it was the 6th hour mark and gave it another check, still some part not tender enough, give it some more, anyways if i remember well, were in total some 7 hours of cook, very pleased with the result, very tender and juicy.

View attachment 46543

View attachment 46542

View attachment 46544

i would love to take more pics of it, but to be honest everyone were hungry me included so we rush to it, here i just take a pic of a taco

View attachment 46545

The rib part were the best of course, everyone fight for them :LOL:

Well hope you like it, have a good day/night you all. Saludos from México.
Looks wonderful man. No matter the time it takes, it always feels well worth it once you take that first bite.

Back