Cloned a Slow 'N Sear XL

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
for the 26er. Wanted to find out what all the brew-haha was about.

Material was .1" mild steel leftover from previous projects. Laid out and cut the piece that lines the kettle.

WJzckDB.jpg

Bent it on my trusty Harbor Freight 20 ton press.

fUBjlk0.jpg

It fits!

cDorAJa.jpg

These 2 straight pieces took the most time to make/fit. If I had a nickel for every hour....

vP5xjR6.jpg

Welded up! Holds exactly 1 quart of water which I never use.

pZa8WVX.jpg

RSXNTKf.jpg

Made a charcoal grate for just in case I decide to burn lump.

eqzI1XR.jpg

1Nimbvf.jpg

Got it workin!

3ECXJ0n.jpg

0WqWP5c.jpg

fwiw - I like it! Am glad the bottom of it is open - makes for ez removal of the unit while leaving the charcoal on the grate for cleanup. A friend of mine , Jason S supplied photos that were a big help with this project.

Last edited:
Nice, now that's some skills! How long did it take you to make it and is it worth the $157 price tag? I have the SnS for a 22" kettle and was wondering if that would be enough for the 26er...?

That looks killer, Robert. I love mine. I was skeptical but I enjoy cooking with it.

Thanks, Dustin. I was skeptical, too. Since I have more time than money...

I believe you could prototype a hot, new smoker or grill that would take off.

Thanks, B. Believe I'll stick with one-off clones. Trying to make hobbies profitable usually ends up taking the joy out of them for me.

Nice, now that's some skills! How long did it take you to make it and is it worth the $157 price tag? I have the SnS for a 22" kettle and was wondering if that would be enough for the 26er...?

Thank you, Sam. Like I said, "if I had a nickel for every hour.... " I def think the price for a 26er SnS is fair. They are well made out of stainless steel and the price includes shipping.

Last edited:
You amaze me Robert. That is fantastic. I've been sniffing around and checking out the SnS ever since I saw Dustin's post. If I decide on one, I'll buy it from SnS though. I don't have the talent nor the tools to duplicate your feat.

Robert, you are really starting to make me feel.....
Sad!
I wish I had ever had the space for a metal shop, had welding talent, and half the skill you do!
That unit looks like a fine piece of workmanship!
Now, I’m going to go sulk!
I agree with Cliff!

You amaze me Robert. That is fantastic. I've been sniffing around and checking out the SnS ever since I saw Dustin's post. If I decide on one, I'll buy it from SnS though. I don't have the talent nor the tools to duplicate your feat.

Thanks, Cliff.

btw - your mailbox is full.

Really Nice Job!

I have for my Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill the ABC SlowNSear Plus, their Easy Spin Stainless Steel Grate, their DripNGriddle Pan and just arrived last week their Stainless Steel Elevated Cooking Grate. I am Really happy with these purchases.

Last edited:

Back