Cleaning your grill grates

I would guess that many people would not abandon the use of wire bristle brushes unless they experienced a personal event. I've been smoking and grilling for only 2 1/2 years, so I lack the experience of others and never learned how to avoid a stray strand before experiencing it firsthand. I rather quickly grew fond of a wire brush that--for me--was extremely effective at cleaning my various grate materials and shapes. One day, I found a stray wire in my grill. This was fewer than 6 months after my first purchase (though in fairness I cannot state how many cleanings it endured). So I discarded it and purchased a new, identical brush. Upon the first use I discovered that several strands fell into my grill. From that moment I chose that I would not want to live with the possible remorse of using wire brushes. It sucks, because I've yet to find a "global" cleaner as effective as the wire brush but I am happy that once I experienced this unfortunate event I took steps to eliminate any further occurrence. I have tried a multitude of instruments, since, and aside from wadded foil I'm almost inclined to say that the Char-Broil nylon brushes (there are two varieties to my knowledge) are what I believe to be my best options for both my WSM's and Weber gassers.

When it’s past freezing weather around here I intend to fill my grate “wash tub” with abut an inch and a half of soapy water and start putting the grates in while they are a little warm, not blistering, just cooked hot but, warm and allow the “all important soaking stage” to work it’s magic, then a swipe with a green scrubby, rinse and Fanny’s my mother’s sister!
The spring thaw cannot happen soon enough, my Peruvian ingredients came yesterday(thanks Amazon!) and I want to get that recipe tested!

Last edited:
Had a good friend who was grilling out and a few hours later had a terrible sore throat, kept getting worse, thought they were getting strep or the like.
Went to emergency room in the middle of the night and found out she had a bristle hung in throat.
After I heard that, threw all mine away. Even though never had an issue in past, knew my luck and did not want to take a chance.
Now use a ball of aluminum foil!

I’d do the same Rob!
I have used a garden weeder but, For some reason, the angle of the Billy bar seems to suit my “approach” either from height or reach. I still have a wire one but rarely use it. I think this summer it shall go the way of the dodo!

Last edited:
So you than get flecks of foil in the food. I stopped doing that a long time ago because of it. Frankly if you brush than wipe down anything there will be gone

Wood scraper for the Genesis 1000.

They've got wood scrapers for $15 at local hardware store. Geez, I can make my own for less.

THEN I saw this ...... but for $44!!!!!!!
61VYR1gip%2BL._SL1400_.jpg

Nutz to that.
https://amzn.to/2qIOgoY but for $44 from amaz ca, I thought well, I can't say what I thought ;)

I've been using something similar to this for years and like it very much. The only thing it leaves behind are large fragments that are easily seen and unlikely to be ingested.

US: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000216X6M/tvwb-20

I use this brush also. Highly recommend.

You can get the Billy Bar for $15 plus shipping

My basic routine is to use a standard brush followed by the "brillo pad" type that Chris mentions above. Then I oil my grates with a oil soaked paper towel. There is no metal left on the grates when I'm done.

Every so often, I use the Billy Bar to do a heavier duty cleaning. It works very well to get under the grate bar as scrape the drippings off. I do that first, then the "brillo pad" then the oiled paper towel. My grates aren't sparkling clean but they are seasoned cleaned. To do any better, I'd have to use something like oven cleaner and that just isn't worth it.

They've got wood scrapers for $15 at local hardware store. Geez, I can make my own for less.

THEN I saw this ...... but for $44!!!!!!!

Nutz to that.
https://amzn.to/2qIOgoY but for $44 from amaz ca, I thought well, I can't say what I thought ;)
Saw what was fundamentally the same thing at Costco yesterday for $9. Almost bought one. Almost.

I love the "patent pending" bit. Good luck with that. They're trying to patent a small wooden shovel? That's like trying to patent a miniature baseball bat.

I picked this one up at Aldi yesterday for $2.69, I think.
For use on cold grates, has a scrubby pad on the other side that probably won't hold up well, but the red plastic bristles seem substantial.
I also use a Tool Wizard woven mesh scrubber.

Last edited:

Back