Cleaning thermapen

Matt Gard

TVWBB All-Star
I have a thermapen which is awesome. My question is what is the most cost effective cleaning method for those. I've seen the wipes but wonder what you all use.

1. Stick the tip in boiling water for 10 seconds, or
2. Go to drug store & get box of alcohol wipes for diabetics. A box of 100 is $2

I use a blue paper shop towel. I buy bulk rolls at Costco. I moisten a towel with beer or whisky, wipe it off before inserting and after removing it from the food. Not steril but oh well.

I just clean it with soap and water. When there is boiling water, I do tend to stick it in there (not sure why). And, when I grill, I stick the tip near the burner until the temp reads over 160. I know I don't follow all the food safety information out there, but I don't use the same cutting board for raw meat as I do for other cutting and I keep my tools rinsed off and my hands clean - that's about it. Never had a food illness or know of anyone getting sick from my food. I just think the basics go a long way and the rest is overkill.

I just use soap and water. I take my scrubby side of sponge with warm soapy water and scrub off the probe. If the plastic part is dirty I take a moist paper towel and wipe it off without geting it too wet. I've been using Thermanpens for quite a long while, and the older ones that were not 'splash proof' were a little tricky to wash without getting 'wet' but I managed it. The newer ones are splash proof (you can tell, they are sort of rounded corners) and are have been able to clean them with much more vigor. I don't run the electronics under water, but it gets moist and I have no problems.

Back