Cleaning and care of cooking grates and water pan

Hard to go out now. People are crazy. Prices are unreal. Throw in traffic and parking...
I can barely afford to shop at the grocery store.
Same here.
And I do remember the incredibly cheap breakfasts. Now it is double digits for less.

I use no waterpan, so cleaning that one is easy. Actually makes a great dog water bowl ;)
I sort of clean the grates after cooking if I remember. But will always clean before cooking by heating up the grates on the lit grill. Then scrape with tongs.
Occasionally, I'll give them a good wash under the garden tap.
Note that our bbq/grill season is yearround. If I would store the grill, I would clean everything thoroughly before storage

I ditched water in the pan over a decade ago, the easy off stuff works good on the cooking grate... there is some other stuff the pit barrel users use to clean out their smoker that looks to strip the inside of most grease etc...have not tried it, I usually do a "burnout" of the inside by building a fire with nothing inside to cook the wall in the wsm which causes some of it to flake off

I picked up a two pak of SS scrubbies from the dollar store --- they work GREAT! But, I noticed that its taking the chrome/nickle plating off the racks after only two cleanings.... I'm going to go back and pick up a two pak of copper scrubbies soon --- they should be much kinder. Just scrub the grates at the end of the cook while its still hot or as the units are preheating.

I used to put the 18" WSM grates on the 3 burner gasser and cook it off and scrape it, but I've gotten lazy..... And I've also acquired a kettle now too, so the copper scrubbies are the way to go.

Back