Cleaning a Cast Iron Skillet

My sister got me one of those chain mail things for gunk removal, it works pretty well, no noticeable breakdown in seasoning, but for the most part I give it a hot rinse when I’m done while the pans still warm and wipe.
I picked up some avocado oil spray at Trader Joe’s so, I have taken to a very quick spritz and rub it down. So far no complaints
I had one of those chain mail scrubbers. Did a pretty good job...until it fell in the sink drain and I hit the disposal switch. I was picking the pieces out for 20 minutes!

A good ss scrub pad and some hot water cleans up stuck stuff really well, a shot of dawn also doesn't hurt if not left soaking, onto a burner and dried then a very light shot of oil and a wipe. I don't use the scrubbers that have soap in them and fall apart when using, the ss feels soft in your hand and won't hurt Teflon ect if used lightly when needed

I had one of those chain mail scrubbers. Did a pretty good job...until it fell in the sink drain and I hit the disposal switch. I was picking the pieces out for 20 minutes!
Lol, I can't tell you how many times I have taken a piece of silverware for a ride in the garbage disposal, or picked out some seemingly random piece of metal from it.
I bought a Danco disposal genie a few years ago and I've not lost anything into my disposal since. They have two different sizes.

1670342114212.png

edit: and a newer version: I have the original style.

Last edited:
Sometimes I'll scrub with chainmail, then put some oil in it, put it over heat and scrub it. Sometimes I'll toss in a couple of tablespoons of salt and oil and scrub with chainmail over heat using tongs.

Some things just leave behind more goo and they are harder to clean.

In boy scouts we used wadded up aluminum foil, soap, water. The aluminum is much softer than the cast iron, or virtually any kind of scrubby you can buy except a sponge.

In boy scouts we used wadded up aluminum foil, soap, water. The aluminum is much softer than the cast iron, or virtually any kind of scrubby you can buy except a sponge.
At camp they used pine cones heated over coals. Forgot about that until I read your post.

I swear by my chain mail scrubber. One of my ci skillets is about 50 years old now...can't use soap on this one, but the newer ones can. I love that chain mail.

I clean my CI with a Dobie pad and a drop or two of dawn. If anything gets real stuck, I use a chain mail pad. Dry on the stove, wipe with grape seed oil. I use lower heat with my CI and let it warm up longer. It’s been a long time single I really had to scrub one.

I usually just wipe it out with a wet dish cloth. If there is any stuck on stuff, water and a light wipe with a green scrubby. I find that dish soap tends to compromise the seasoning. Then a light coat of oil before it goes back in the cabinet.

Scrubbing with piping hot water and a cast iron brush works 90% of the time. If that doesn’t work, I employ a chainmail scrubber. Make sure to dry thoroughly and give a light coating of canola oil.

Back