Cleaner For Gold B Side Tables?

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
What is a good cleaner to bring the gray side tables back to life on a the Gold B era grills?

Bob,
Those shelves clean up remarkably well. I use Dawn Power Dissolver but other have used an all-purpose cleaner with good results.

Jeff

I use straight bleach. wear gloves, get a rag saturated in bleach and wipe it on. Keep it wet with the rage while letting it soak for five minutes or so. Then use a green scrubby pad or #0000 Steel wool and 90% of the time it will come nice and clean. If not, you can always sand them. Yep, sand them with a fairly fine sand paper. Either way, when you are done, put a good vinyl protectant on them to bring back the luster and bring out the color.

You can try a regular cleaner first, but if that doesn't work to your liking, then try the bleach and last resort, grab the sand paper.

303 Protectant is a great choice:

303 Aerospace Protectant - Provides Superior UV Protection, Helps Prevent Fading and Cracking, Repels Dust, Lint, and Staining, Restores Lost Color and Luster, 10oz (30307CSR)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8NKGSG/?tag=tvwb-20

If you have really bad thermoset tables, you can first lightly sand off the dulled area. Then use the 303 or similar product. 303 is not greasy like some. Because they are serving tables some recommend using food grade mineral oil.

Jon beat me to it. I use 303. Like he said, it doesn't leave a greasy residue and it has UV protectant properties which is essential for an outdoor grill. It is primarily the UV sunlight that makes the tables all chalky and rough to begin with.

And the stuff is much better than Amor All and most of the other automotive vinyl cleaner/protectants.....Give it a shot on your car interior and exterior vinyl.

Has anyone tried a torch on the plastic to bring the shine back? Carefully.
I don't think anyone would admit to trying that, although I understand the concept. I have used a propane torch for years in my amateur plumbing endeavors and it's not very forgiving if you linger over something for even a second too long.

I have been a 303 user for many years but to me still have a half bottle the finish is extremely dull a matte finish at best. When I first started using it I could swear it had more of a sheen to it which is not the case anymore. I just did the tables and handle on the Silver C as well as the tool holder and the left side moulding, my tables are in great shape maybe because I keep my grill covered in the ATL.

There was some mold or whatever on the plastic end caps and handle, did something similar to what Bruce did used about a 50/50 mix of bleach and water applied with a rag 4 or 5 times to keep them wet then dipped a magic eraser into the solution and rubbed those pieces down did a very nice job got them as good as they were going to get. Finished with the 303 but as I said I find it dull going to try their other product the next time read the reviews its anything but a glossy shine more of maybe a satin just trying to get a bit more sheen than the standard 303.

Brian, I had heard there was a lot of counterfieting going on over the last few years on some of the higher end products such as 303. It could be possible you got some of that. It is mostly coming from China. A couple years ago, I got hit by that with some AC-Delco spark plugs I had purchased off Amazon for my truck. They lasted only 40K miles and were burned down to the ceramic insulators on every plug. I am surprised it was only one cylinder misfiring at that point. But they are targeting relatively expensive items that are highly popular.

Oh, and I do think that 303 makes a few variations of their standard protectant now.

Quite possible Bruce but the last bottle I got was the same where years ago many, I do remember it had more of a sheen to it. Possible they reformulated it as did Armour All but next time gonna try the 303 tire shine. I still got over half a bottle left so its gonna be awhile.

Back