Chuck roll secured, Q scheduled for 9PM Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don C.

TVWBB Super Fan
Yup, got a beautiful 11 lber. Figuring on a 16 hour cook. Does beef hit a plateau like pork butts? I've noticed some suggest foiling at around 160 internal temp. Is this to help speed up the cooking time? Time is not really a concern this go'round. Or is it to help keep the bark from becoming to "hard" ?

Rath *pics to follow*

I've only ever done briskets, pork butts, buckboard bacon, and ribs. Never attempted any beef besides the brisket. Oh, and a venison roast. That thing came out tasting like delicious roast beef, but was dry cuz of having no fat. I've saved a bunch of really beautiful pork fat in the freezer, and next time I'll cover the roast with it.

Of course, you won't have that problem with a chuck roast. Should have some nice marbling to it. I wonder what it will taste like. Any idea?

Rath, it's fun to work both sides of the fence isn't it?? Lots of different ideas and experiences out there to take and learn from!!

Greg *happy fence man himself*

I just picked up a 15lb chuck roll myself, I was wondering about the foiling also. I also read on another sight about putting a foil pan under it to catch the juices to mix back in after pulling it. Has anuone tried that? I thought the juices might get too smokey taste as bad as I imagine the water pan water would taste.

Tom,
Good luck on your cook. I would think that the drippings would be too smokey. Right now I am trying to figure out when and for how long to foil this beautiful hunk-o-meat.

Susan,
As I understand it, this chuck roll is the pork butt of beef. I will be using the method and rub as per Texas Bill and cannot wait to taste. Right now my co-worker(a Texan) is drolling, but he will have to wait til Sunday to taste. Chuck roll=chuck roast? Do tell.

Rath *will feed your eyes Thur. thru Fri.*

I'll send up a smokey prayer for you. Right---pork butt is shoulder, chuck is shoulder, makes total sense. Sounds gah-roovy!

Thanks Susan
icon_smile.gif

Rath *buying Greg a calendar
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rath:
Does beef hit a plateau like pork butts? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Rath, I did a 19lb chuck roll all by itself and it took about 22 hours after adjusting for time lost to an accidental vent closure issue. The last two hours of this was foiled in the oven at around 275 I think.

It was great though, hope you enjoy it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Chuck roll=chuck roast? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> my butcher called it a boneless blade roast.

Good to know Shawn, thanks! I think I'll be foiling it when it hits around 160. Thinking of adding some AJ/Oil mix in with it.

Rath *now knows 3 names for the same cut*

Chuck roll and clods cook a little faster than brisket (at least I find that to be the case).
I normally will foil around 170º. I take them to 195 to 200º internal so I can pull and chop. The center can be sliced. Great way to feed beef to a large group.
Jim

Jim,
I was planning on pulling the whole thing. You mentioned that "the center can be sliced", can it be pulled also?

Rath *a tad confused*

LOL! I knew I could count on you Greg
icon_smile.gif

The cook is underway and the chuck roll is at 117 internal temp. The WSM is holding steady at 235 and I have 1 vent open at 25% and the other 2 are closed.

The chuck roll has a lite coating of Wor. sauce and the a nice coating of the Texas rub. Detail to follow

Rath *promises pics for Greg*

Rath, you making me hungry man.
icon_frown.gif
Which rub is on the roll O beef
icon_confused.gif
#1 or #2. And where might i find a roll O beef.
icon_confused.gif
I'm seeing some serious numbers here 11 lber 15 lber 19 lber. You guys are KILLING ME. Talk to me. Later Bryan
Drippings will get too smokey to use. I read that somewhere, do'nt ask me where all i know is it was on this site.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bryan,
I am using the #1 rub. I got my roll at a butcher on my way home from work. He was a very nice man and we talked some. He also sells whole briskets!!! I told him I would be a return customer and he gave me a 'fridge magnet!! How cool is that????

Anyway, WSM is at 245, some wood ignited, and roll temp is 150. 10 to go til foiling. 1 vent at 10% still 2 closed.

Rath *pics to come, I promise*

Rath, what sauce are you going to use for the pulled BEEF samies. As Bryan drolls all over the keyboard.

Bryan,
I'm going to sprinkle some more rub, not to much, then I will have a blend of KC Masterpiece and JD on the side for those who wish and just some regular KC for those not so adventurous.

Rath *starting to drool himself*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back