Chuck Roast Smoked Like a Brisket

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I decided to smoke a chuck roast. I've done pepper stout beef before and I've cooked chuck roasts in the crockpot but never this way.

Chuck roast that was 2.9 lbs.

Seasoned with kosher salt and Holy Cow

On the WSM with KBB and post oak chunks. I kept the temp at about 250 most of the cook and let it go up to 275 towards the end.

This thing stalled out at 145 for a LONG TIME so I wound up wrapping it. The cook time was about 7 hours. I took it off at 200 internal when probe tender.

Still turned out nice and crusty.

The grain on these is all over the place so I just liked it this way.

Another sliced shot.

Plated with some potato salad and Mac and Cheese.

This turned out surprisingly good. I have no idea why it stalled so early. Doing it over again I'd probably wrap sooner during the stall. It's definitely not brisket, but is a nice change of pace to get some nice barbecue beef. It was a touch on the dry side but the drippings brought it right back and tasted great mixed with the mac and cheese! It pulled apart easily despite not being able to cut with the grain. I will definitely do this again.

That looks good and what I great idea! I did one last week in the IP, which I've done before, but I'll try this when I have time to smoke one.

How odd is this Dustin, I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. If you saw my thread about the brisket chili, I don't want to do a whole brisket to make chili so I thought I would do a chuck roast like a brisket and see how that would work out for the chili. Looks good and from your description it should work fine.

Looks good! They had CRs on sale for $2.99/lb at the store today - wish I'd have got one.

Looking great, Dustin, and certainly a good way to change up the "usual" beef rotation!

How odd is this Dustin, I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. If you saw my thread about the brisket chili, I don't want to do a whole brisket to make chili so I thought I would do a chuck roast like a brisket and see how that would work out for the chili. Looks good and from your description it should work fine.

Guess what I'm doing today, Rich......cooking a whole brisket to make chili with the "leftovers". :)

Looking great, Dustin, and certainly a good way to change up the "usual" beef rotation!

Guess what I'm doing today, Rich......cooking a whole brisket to make chili with the "leftovers". :)

Hey Rich I love brisket too but with the two of us it just like never goes away. The brisket I used in the chili was from smoke day , that was the last of it. I will do another brisket on next years smoke day it's become my yearly tradition...the cook that lasts all year:)

I started smoking chuck roast a few years ago and refuse to eat one any other way now.
However, I usually do not take it past 140. When I cook these, I typically smoke about
a half dozen at a time for about 90 minutes. Season with SPG, the smoke with Royal Oak Lump,
a chunk of hickory, or pecan.
Afterward, I cool and seal them. About half the time we will thaw and toss in the IP and make
barbacoa for tacos, and the other times we will finish off in the crock pot with a can of french
onion soup, and a can of beef consomme. Great tasting either way.

Looks great, Dustin! We love smoked chuckie. Most times - just shred them and use for enchiladas, tacos and freeze the leftovers for later.

Back