CHUCK ROAST, GRILLED OR SLOW SMOKE LIKE A BRISKET

I’ve done twice. Both times intent was pulled beef. Two roasts each time. First time pulled them at 190… tough to pull. Second time pulled at 200+. Fell apart and made delicious tacos. Ironically, I still have a few bags from each in the freezer and I just so happen to have pulled one out earlier today for tomorrow’s dinner.

Late to this one, but I smoked them on my traeger and then pulled the beef. LOVE it. Super tasty. Will be trying one on my new kettle for sure. Never tried slicing them or anything though.

turn it into biria tacos and enjoy it. personally, smoked like a brisket was underwhelming. or make good hamburgers. chuck makes some of the best ground beef there is. sorry to not conform to your desires. just sharing my honest experiences.

reference: https://tvwbb.com/threads/chuck-n-butt.90319/

Well I added another Chuck to this cook about same size.
Cleaned them up a bit trimmed the big fat off.
Probed them with a knife and rubbed with sesame oil and then some sea salt.
On a rack into the frig.
I used my performer with a SnS and some Hickory chucks. Set at around 275 area. At 165ish I wrapped them added some beef broth and talow to them back oN to 200 then probed super tender. I then put these in a low oven 160 as I needed some sleep and needed to keep warm till the church lunchen.
Unwrapped super moist, and sliced thin, had slice slow so it would not fall apart, some did. Well very tender,juicy, finger pull apart. Nothing left but smiles.
I will do this again. I also had to haveca quick snack of shrimp, never got any finished photos to busy, and to much going on.

Attachments

• 20241019_155532.jpg
    20241019_155532.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1
As soon as you're putting it into a pouch or vessel of some sort with fats and liquids, to my way of thinking that is "Stewing" it. I really want to see someone actually do one start to finish unwrapped on a smoker i.e. like a brisket or butt. To my way of thinking THAT would be an accomplishment and one I would still like to try to achieve. Not that stewing it is "bad eats". On the contrary. But, I'm still looking for the "brisket type experience" without needing to make a brisket

As soon as you're putting it into a pouch or vessel of some sort with fats and liquids, to my way of thinking that is "Stewing" it. I really want to see someone actually do one start to finish unwrapped on a smoker i.e. like a brisket or butt. To my way of thinking THAT would be an accomplishment and one I would still like to try to achieve. Not that stewing it is "bad eats". On the contrary. But, I'm still looking for the "brisket type experience" without needing to make a brisket
I did a chuckeye roast for the throwdown.

So far I have 3lb roast, I have put on some oil and salted it in frig open air on rack.
I plan to just add pepper and garlic before cook.
I have been reading/watching bids on cooks and I like the treat it like brisket I was wondering if anyone has done that way?
Kevin,
These are my favorite proteins to sear then smoke. I remember watching my dad sear both sides before cooking indirect on the ‘ol offset. He always said that searing on both sides provided a shorter cook time and the juices were locked in. Since then, I’ve always used his method, but on the WSM 22.5. I foil the water pan, fill it with lit coal and place that on the lower cooking grate…..essentially like a kettle for direct cooking just to get a sear on both sides. Once seared, I remove the charcoal filled water pan and return the charcoal to its usual spot, fill water pan with hot water and resume indirect cook until temps hit 150-160….wrap up, back on the WSM, pull when probe tender.
IMG_1788.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1790.jpeg
    IMG_1790.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1791.jpeg
    IMG_1791.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1793.jpeg
    IMG_1793.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 6
I never wrap anything, and mine were delicious.

Please chare techniques. As I've tossed at least 4 of them in the trash because they were so bad
This was on a traeger, and I believe you have a pellet smoker, so should be similar. I just rub with whatever, and throw on at 225 or 250 till at 203. I THINK I spritzed with apple cider vinegar/water, but I don't remember. Then I pulled the beef, not sliced.

This was on a traeger, and I believe you have a pellet smoker, so should be similar. I just rub with whatever, and throw on at 225 or 250 till at 203. I THINK I spritzed with apple cider vinegar/water, but I don't remember. Then I pulled the beef, not sliced.
Well, I'll grab another small chuckie and give that a go. Basically looking at pretty much same temps as brisket then.

Chuck on a snake

Well this is my preferred way to do it…

I do them on occasion. A little SPOG and into the blue oak smoke at 275°F. I mist frequently with beef broth and rotate as they smoke. Run them until they stall, about 160°F, and wrap them in pink butcher paper to finish.

Give me beef shoulder over any grade brisket any day of the week.

You ever do a chuck roll? That's like the pork butt of beef.
I have not tried this cut. I'd have to learn what it might be called locally. There seems to be a lot variation in naming of cuts. It sounds like a rolled shoulder roast here. Is it netted or just loose rolled? The local grocers tend to reduce cuts to small lumps of about 2 lbs.

Last edited:
I have not tried this cut. I'd have to learn what it might be called locally. There seems to be a lot variation in naming of cuts. It sounds like a rolled shoulder roast here. Is it netted or just loose rolled? The local grocers tend to reduce cuts to small lumps of about 2 lbs.

Back