Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This past weekend I picked up a Chuck Roast and decided to make burnt ends out of it

Nearly $6 a pound, have mercy

i5J4HV1.jpg

Cut into cubes to have maximum crust

4B5Kl4E.jpg

In the rub for 15 hours

Co8piVA.jpg

The 22" WSM gets the duty

hJVa3Jm.jpg

Time for the tub

f0ZePg6.jpg

The tub sauce

Dr67XYF.jpg

The Chuck Roast to the braise and the sweet taters take the grill

wYiNjw1.jpg

Corn joins the party in the last hour

6xOsyCW.jpg

Time to pull everything

K50nHRF.jpg

Maybe....

f7tOua4.jpg

My Plate

HoX52RX.jpg

The cook was very successful, everything but the sauce was perfect. I was bummed I tried Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple, it's awful, nearly ruined the day. From now on I stick with Stubbs and only Stubbs (unless I make homemade)

They look fantastic - as does the corn. Sorry the sauce didn't work for ya. I'm seeing Maple in everything these days. I think it's overdone (IMHO) and many times, there's a 'fake' flavor to it that really turns me off. So I just avoid it unless I'm having pancakes. :D I'm with ya on the Stubb's - good stuff, I just wish you could get it without the High Fructose Corn Syrup as a main ingredient.

Thanks Jim, do a YouTube search for Malcom Reed (how to BBQ right) he has tons of homemade sauces, of which I'm going to start doing. His Balsamic Vinegar base sauces are amazing

Faux burnt ends have become a favorite around our house! Simple and easy to cook, but taste oh so good. Yours look spot on, I just hate the sauce wasn’t what you had hoped for. I’ve watched several of the how to bbq right videos, I really like his bbq baked beans.....
Your corn and sweet potatoes look off the charts good as well!!
Tim

Looks tasty! Tried a bottle of that stuff years ago and didn't like it. Really don't like most store bought bbq sauces.

That looks great Chuck, sides look perfect. Sorry the sauce was a no go.
I've been experimenting with various concoctions of # 5 sauce. Did some thighs with a bourbon # 5 that was outstanding. I do keep some store bought just incase I need something quick, brand of choice is Stubbs. Although I bought a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Golden Mustard sauce which I thought was very good

Looks really good Chuck. Beautifully presented too! I've had pretty good luck with Rufus Teague, but will readily agree I like Stubb's better. I've never tried, or even seen, the the Whiskey Maple. Thanks for the heads up.

Great looking grub, Chuck! I saw some decent looking chuck roast at CostCo recently, but I'm currently a bit overstocked in the freezer, so didn't grab any. Can't recall what the price per pound was, but I'm sure it's more than it should be! ;)

Sorry your sauce choice was a bummer...... :|

R

Thanks everyone, the seasoning wasn't bad, however the sauce is not too good. I really noticed that with the leftovers, it was edible when first cooked, but they were pretty bad reheated. That sauce was a huge disappointment :(

Back